Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Job hunting - thinking aloud    

Job hunting - thinking aloud

LeaS
Slovenia

Job hunting - thinking aloud

So, I have decided to be all brave and whatnot and search for a job in the great beyond - that is, somewhere not in my home country.
I get equipped with all possible and impossible references, enthusiastic support from my employers for furthering my career, coupled with requests that I come back ASAP, gather all my qualifications....

And realize no-one is going to hire me, because I �m not a native speaker and job applications don �t show my Brit accent. One look at my non-nativeness and my application goes straight to the bin.

My normally sunny disposition is starting to become a bit cloudy, so I �m wondering if anyone had a similar experience when searching for a job abroad? It �d be nice to know I �m not alone in this Tongue

25 May 2011      

dawnmain
United Kingdom

I live in Spain.  Here there are English teachers from all over the place, Ive met teachers from Sweden, Morocco, France, Poland, Brazil, Argentina and Spain of course.

I wouldnt be put off.  If your English is good enough Im sure there are lots of opportunities.

It probably depends on where you are thinking of going.

26 May 2011     

JennyHime
Japan

If youre feeling adventurous, try applying for the JET programme to teach English in Japan!! Im doing this, and Ive met some non-native English speakers doing the same job as me! :)

26 May 2011     

LeaS
Slovenia

Thank you both for your words of encouragement. I was, actually, considering Spain. Asia doesn �t really appeal to me, despite all the wonderful things I have heard about the learners there.

dawnmain, I �m glad you told me that, I was under the impression that Spanish employers only want native speakers. Certainly seems so if you look at the ads Wink. I �d suspect there �s a whole country �s worth of native speakers with degrees in TESOL from the incredible amount of ads seeking them.

Again, thank you both.

26 May 2011