Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > stories    

stories

cristinacarre
Spain

stories

How can we teach an story, which activities we can use. My ss are 6 7 years old. which are the steps to follow.
thank you

28 May 2011      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

What do you mean "teach a story"? Teach writing a story or reading a story?
Sophia

28 May 2011     

cristinacarre
Spain

I mean how to work with an story.
the steps that I have to follow.
and some activity that I can do for each story.

I mean the didactic program for each story.

I mean for 5 to 8 years old ss
thank you

28 May 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Express publishing has a whole series of primary readers which usually come with teacher �s notes and audio cd or dvd-rom. Have a look http://www.expresspublishing.co.uk/eltreaders.php?Country=uk&Category=11

But here are a few tips on reading a story with primary level ss (if they can read):
1) The story you choose should be simple with short sentences, containing mostly familiar vocabulary + it should have nice illustrations;
2) You start with reading the title and looking through the pictures, asking your ss to guess what the story is about and what are the characters in the story;
3) Introduce new vocabulary with the help of pictures and play some vocabulary game;
4) Have your ss listen to the story (if you don �t have an audio, you can read the story to your ss yourself) it �s essential you have a while-listening activity (something like "clap your hands when you hear new words" or "point to the characters in the pictures when you hear them speak", etc.)
5) Don �t make your ss read the story aloud right away, it will probably embarrass them, rather have them practice to read it aloud at home and check the next time (it would be ideal if they had an audio of the story to take home to mimic a native speaker) 
6) In class though, you can practice silent reading followed by some comprehension activities like "who says", "find the sentence for the picture", etc.
7) And finally a follow-up lesson with role play for the story would be most beneficial IMHO

There are a lot more things you will be able to do with your ss once they (and you as a teacher) gain confidence with reading stories ;)
Sophia

28 May 2011