Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Teenager Class Ideas    

Teenager Class Ideas

tastybrain
Taiwan

Teenager Class Ideas

Hey all!

I was hoping I could pick your brains for topic and activity ideas for teaching high-intermediate level teenagers ranging from 14 to 17 years old. They are pretty sassy, precocious and smart, so I need engaging activities to occupy their attention. I �ve had some success teaching them riddles and haikus and having them write their own. I �ve also used newspaper headlines/articles, current popular music (we do a new song every month), and introduced them to interesting slang terms they wouldn �t hear elsewhere.

What sorts of things have worked for you? Any websites that have proved useful resources for teaching students of this level? Thanks a lot!

29 May 2011      

maryse pey�
France

hi dear,

explain them the narrative steps in writing. Choose themes with them, vocabulary and make them write their own story.

29 May 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

Absolutely - creative writing always works, as well as performing role plays (they can even write their own plays)... not to mention truth or dare games (guided, of course)...

29 May 2011     

annelaure
France

Hi! I made them write a detective story, with a murder, the suspects and the police investigation....they really enjoyed doing it, that might work with your kids as well.

29 May 2011     

MWeed
Finland

Circle stories can be a really useful tool with any age group. You can have a set opening line or let the students come up with them themselves. Give each a piece of paper. Each student writes a line, then hands the paper to the next. The next student writes a line, then folds the paper so only the line they just wrote is visible. Repeat this until you reach the end of the paper, or reach the end of a set time limit. The story can change in some very interesting and funny ways, and if you have a large class, it will ensure that there is plenty of opportunity for students to get a good amount of writing in. Have them focus on grammar, specifically, and you can even take a good theme from one of the stories and have the students expand on it by writing an entire story off of it themselves.

Hope this helps- it worked with a creative writing group that consisted mainly of middle-school- and younger high-school-aged kids (10-15 or so, but the older ones liked it too). Lots of fun to see how much you can change the story in just one line!

30 May 2011