Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > calculating cumulative frequency    

calculating cumulative frequency

t.javanshir
Australia

calculating cumulative frequency

Hi dear friends,

I know what cumulative frequency is and how to compute it from a set of available data and their absolute frequencies, but recently I came across a question in "testing" that I didn �t know how to solve it; could you do me a favor and solve the problem if you are good at statistics? Here is the problem:

What is the cumulative frequency of a score of 60 out of 100 on a test administered to 80 people?

I �ll be grateful if you also tell me which formula to use to get to the answer.

Thanks in advance,

Toofan

30 May 2011      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Toofan,
Your instincts are correct that this is a faulty question. Maybe there is more information given in the source that you overlooked. There is no way to answer any question about frequency from this question.

Bruce

30 May 2011     

t.javanshir
Australia

Dear Bruce,

By the way this was a multiple-choice question with the following options:

1) 75% 2) 40% 3) 48% 4) 32%

Does this make a difference?

This was a formal question in a formal test, there seems to be a solution.

30 May 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Hi Toofan,

Well if I remember well my faraway math the answer is 75%.

With the following formula :

60 X 100
--------- = 75 %

general formula : X is the number of persons who have given the same answer, Y is the number of tested persons and Z the result.

X x  100
--------- = Z%                                        (That way it is better !)
    Y
Hope my memory is right !

30 May 2011     

yanogator
United States

Maryse, that would be the relative frequency, not the cumulative frequency. 60% of the people had this score (if that is what the 60 represents). The cumulative frequency is the number of people who had this score or lower, and we don �t have that information.
Also, Toofan said that 60 is the score out of 100, not the number of people with the same answer/score. Which did you mean, Toofan?

Bruce

30 May 2011     

maryse pey�
France

dear Bruce,
My memory is not as good as I thought ! Sorry for that mistake ! I am afraid I have to revise my math lessons...

Have a good Monday !

30 May 2011     

t.javanshir
Australia

You are right Bruce, this is one particular score (60 out of 100) and not the number of people who have given the same answer. 
This question seems a little faulty to me too, Bruce.
Anyway thank you all for your help.

I am still waiting for more comments from others if any.

30 May 2011     

jamiejules
France

Hi Toofan,
I have just asked a maths teacher and he told me that we cannot with the given data calculate the cumulative frequency. he said you �d need to know the score of each person to be able to then regroup them and know the cumulative frequency!
hope that helps (well in this case not much but...)
have a nice day

30 May 2011     

yanogator
United States

Hi again, Toofan,
A question worded like that would probably accompany a graph. I think that the problem with the question was that the graph was missing, so you didn �t have the information you needed.

Bruce

30 May 2011     

t.javanshir
Australia

Thank you everybody for your help. I suppose the information given in the question is not enough. That �s why I put forth the question to see if there is a way to come up with the answer or at least estimate the nearest option. There seems to be no answer for the question and I �ve been searching the net for a formula or something to calculate cumulative frequency with the given information but I came up with nothing useful.

Anyway thanks a lot pals.

Best wishes

30 May 2011     

t.javanshir
Australia

Can �t we estimate the cumulative frequency supposing this score is in a normal distribution?

30 May 2011     

1    2    Next >