Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Music Genre    

Music Genre

sirhaj
Malaysia

Music Genre

Hello Everybody,
I am teaching the students about music genre and I am planning to write short stories based on music genre in order to demonstrate them creative writing while relate it to the topic. I want to blend fantasy and music in the stories. Below is my rough idea.

1. Pop: A popular singer of a noble family in a medieval era had her voice stolen by a witch who would return it only if she learned to be more humble and grateful.
2. Jazz: A blind man loved to play Jazz music to entertain the poor and his deed was rewarded by an angel who would grant his one wish, he made a selfless choice.
3. Country: A country girl whose voice could even attract fairies & elves was captured by trolls for that, she later used her voice to escape and save the land from them.
4. Hip-Hop: A boy discovered a magical "walkman" that play music which set everybody to dance and run around ( shake their HIPs and HOP around). He later learned a valuable lesson when he misused the device during his birthday.
5. Latin: 2 siblings ( boy/girl) in Mexico was abandoned by their stepmother, they used their talent in playing Latin music, singing & dancing to earn money and their talent attracted the king and their fate started to change.
6. Folk: Villagers played folk music every night to keep the werewolves away from their town but soon discovered their method would not last long.

Do you guys have other suggestions on the stories? different plots? I still need ideas of stories based on Rock, R&B, classical music, Gospel, Reggae  and any other music.  Feel free to give your  suggestions.

Sirhajwan

31 May 2011      

queenpadme
Turkey

rock: our world was invaded by lots of evil spirits from underworld and they tried to take control of the world. They caught our souls by exposing us rock music:)

31 May 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

techno: all the musicians died and computers took over :) ;)
just kidding (or not)
I can only say I would connect fairies and elves more to folk than to country music. country music makes me think more of the barn and  (un) faithful women

31 May 2011     

sirhaj
Malaysia

Thank you MarionG and Queenpadme!!! really appreciate your ideas, I will deeply consider them.

Sirhajwan

31 May 2011     

Albanta3011
Costa Rica

Lambada: young man is seduced by Lambada dancer during a trip to Brazil. He risks his life following her to a favela to ask her for a date. She manages to get him out of the place unharmed.

For country I would use something related to a rodeo.  

7 Jun 2011