Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > MERRY CHRISTMAS    

MERRY CHRISTMAS

lewisia
Poland

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

17 Dec 2008      

elwirafinka
Poland

CHRISTMAS GAMES FOR KIDS

I�ve been thinking if there is someone here who knows any Christmas games that I could use in the classroom with my pupils aged 9-10. Star They love to move and jump so moving activities are quite important to me to keep them busy and interested for a while.
Thanks a lot for any suggestions Smile

17 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Wow - -stunning picture!

islands is always fun = changes to christmas eve deliveries 
Before playing:
1) tape squares of paper with a country name with a letter, and a stamp or different coloured marker on the floor.

You can just change it to �christmas eve deliveries� and tape country names to the floor.
Rules:
1) Children can move around the classroom in any order.
2) Children must get a stamp in their passport from every �country�
3) The winner is the first person to have a stamp in every country.

To play:
1) Start with 2 people on each country
2) One person says a word starting with the letter written on their �country�
3) the other person has to say a word that rhymes (or starts with this letter, or is the opposite, etc etc)
4) keep going until someone can not think of a word that rhymes.
5) the winner gets a stamp and moves to the next country (any other country they can leap to!)
6) the loser stays behind and starts the game with the next student.

17 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Pictionary:
I love playing pictionary - but with a twist.  I get giant chalk and go play outside on the concrete.  play in groups of up to 6 students - the students take control of their own game - it is lots of fun.  The teacher just wanders around monitoring and helping out every now and then.

Grinches and Elves (from the ginko website - called harry and voldemort)
1) 1/3 of your class are grinches  (give them an anti christmas stick - paper rolled up)
2) everyone else are elves
3) in a hall or outside identify the �playing area�
4) the elves run away.
5) the grinches have to tag them with the �anti christmas stick� and say "no more christmas you must verb (jump, sing etc)
6) the elf must do this action until another elf tags them and correctly guesses what they are doing "Are you singing?"

Change the grinches when they have cuaght all the elves....

17 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Silent ball:

My all time favourite - great for listening comprehension - probably not the best idea in an esol class - but is great for unruly classes and when you have a headache!

Stand in a circle - throw the ball around
If they make a noise then they must sit down and are �out�
They are also out if they do a �hospital pass� or drop the ball.
the teacher calls out instructions.  Jump, catch with left hand, throw with right hand, one hand on head etc...

When they get really good at it - I try to trick them.  Who�s the best class in the world?  Who wants a lolly? etc if they answer they are out... (Mean aren�t I!)

The kids love this game - not sure why - but they really do love this game.  I stole this game from a teacher I have never met in New Zealand who taught my niece! I think he is a legend!

17 Dec 2008