Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Reading and listening comprehensions evaluation    

Reading and listening comprehensions evaluation

isaswi
Belgium

Reading and listening comprehensions evaluation

Hi dear colleagues,

I would like to ask you all, from all over the world, the language you use to ask your questions when you evaluate reading and listening skills.
Here in Belgium, our inspector wants us to do it IN FRENCH and we don �t agree with him but we don �t have the choice, we have to do it!!

My colleagues and I would like to give our inspector an idea of how it works in other countries.

Thanks a lot for your help

31 May 2011      

aliciapc
Uruguay

English, of course. English as much as possible! The listening part is actually played (CDs) we don �t read or anything, and as for the reading part, once the sts did it, we correct but without giving the answer, trying to lead them to it. If it �s not possible, we tell them and explain, but in L2.

31 May 2011     

akoyad
France

Most of the time, we use English, too, as much as possible ! It is only when explanations are needed in grammar that we go back to French.

1 Jun 2011     

amyi
France

I have been told by inspectors that questions to reading and listening comprehension activities should be in French, because it �s the only way to be sure that students have really understood.  In this way, we avoid also evaluating the students on their production when understanding is the aim.
Hope this helps!

1 Jun 2011     

a isabel
Portugal

Only when there is a difficult grammar point to be explained- do we use our mother language. 
Hug

1 Jun 2011     

01marissa
Spain

I teach English as a 3rd Language and Science in English using CLIL methodolgy in Catalonia and I  use only English, so I ask questions in English and they answer in English too. If pupils don �t understand, we try to explain using other words. If they want to ask a question they try to do it in English but I sometimes help them. Visuals ( short videos and pps) are very important, so it �s not difficult for them to understand. L1 is rarely used.
My pupils are 10-12 years old

1 Jun 2011     

karagozian
France

I teach in a French school.  We had the same question or problem some 10 years ago.  We where then suddenly asked to ask our questions in the mother tongue to evaluate listening and reading.  This raised many discussions and reactions.  But no way, we didn �t have the choice.  Now, what happens is you do this only for EXAMS and not normally in the classroom or in the learning process because the students have to get used to the English questions of course.  What they want to avoid is that it is difficult to assess student �s reading and/or listening abilities through a questionnaire they don �t or only hardly understand.  This way it makes sense.  That concerns then one paper a year or something like that.

1 Jun 2011     

karagozian
France

I teach in a French school.  We had the same question or problem some 10 years ago.  We where then suddenly asked to ask our questions in the mother tongue to evaluate listening and reading.  This raised many discussions and reactions.  But no way, we didn �t have the choice.  Now, what happens is you do this only for EXAMS and not normally in the classroom or in the learning process because the students have to get used to the English questions of course.  What they want to avoid is that it is difficult to assess student �s reading and/or listening abilities through a questionnaire they don �t or only hardly understand.  This way it makes sense.  That concerns then one paper a year or something like that.

1 Jun 2011     

karagozian
France

Sorry !!!

1 Jun 2011     

ELOJOLIE274
France

when I evaluate my students reading and listening skills I use French and/or English depending on their level.
for exemple I use French with my elementary or lower-intermediate pupils. With the pupils who are intermediate or advanced I always use English but I make sure we �ve already seen the instructions beforehand. For example when we practice reading and listening I always tell them the instructions are very important and that they might be the same ones during the evaluation!
take care!

1 Jun 2011     

hafedh chairet
Tunisia

in Tunisia we only use English ,even with beginners and it works.for pupils who are used to french , i don �t think using eng instuctions may be challenging since a lot of simlarities are there bet eng and french. 

1 Jun 2011     

1    2    Next >