Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > means of transport    

means of transport

Adel A
Egypt

means of transport

I am going to have a model lesson tomorrow.It will be about means of transport.This  lesson so important for me being an applicant to a new job.So I want your help by providing me with lesson plan about this topic.I want also the best way for having procedures on such a topic.If there any ideas in tackling this lesson please tell me as soon as possible.
Thanks in Advance

4 Jun 2011      

IceQueeny
Russian Federation

Hi!

You should give the age and the level of your students if you ask to help you. Besides there are a lot of  worksheets on this site. Look through them and find those which are suitable for you.

jULIA

4 Jun 2011     

redcamarocruiser
United States

If I were doing a lesson for a job interview, I would divide the lesson into 6 parts: 1) Warm up to set the mood and capture the students attention, 2) presentation of new vocabulary using a picture dictionary worksheet, 3) teach the grammar point you have chosen for the lesson, 4) guided practice with exercises 5) individual practice on more exercises, and 6) students have to produce and perform for the class a dialog or artifact they have created, which the teacher can assess.

You can start by deciding what kind of assessment you want to do. Should the artifact be a dialog created in pairs, a story relating a personal experience  with transportation. an originaol joke written by the student. a poem about transportation, a letter complaining about transportation problems to the authorities, performing or composing a song about transportation (like the wheels on the bus go round and round), making a poster or glogster about transportation, making a comic strip about transportation like at comix,com, draw a picture about transportation and describe it to the class, write and perform a skit, or write a movie at xtranormal.com etc.

After you know how you want to assess the learning, everything falls into place. I like students to write and perform an original dialog about the topic, in this case transportation.

In the first part of the lesson, make the students feel comfortable and elicit the student �s prior knowledge by asking questions on the topic, like How do you get to school? Have you ever taken an intercity train, what kinds of transportation do you use (horse and carriage, car, bus, plane, boat). If you can find a youtube video appropriate to the age of your students, you could show it as a listening practice to warm them up to the topic. for young children The wheels on the bus would be appropriate.

In part 2 go over the vocabulary with a worksheet on transportation.

For part 3 You may want to make your own worksheet to directly teach the class the grammar point you have chosen.

Then in part 4) go over the worksheet with relevant exercises you have created (or found) with the students, modeling how to answer and guiding the students by showing them how to complete the exercises.

Then in part 5) let the students practice independently what you taught them in part 4.

In part 6 the students do the creative part of the lesson. They write the dialog (if I were teaching the lesson) or make the artifact or product you have chosen as the assessment. This part of the lesson takes the most time, allow at about 20 minutes for the students to create the dialog (poem, song, etc.) and allow 10 minutes time for pairs or groups to present their creations.

Part 1, the Warm up, should only take 1-3 minutes
Part 2, presentation of new vocabulary should take 5-10 minutes
Parts 3 and 4, presenting the grammar and guided teaching of practice exercises should take 5-10 minutes
Part 5 writing the dialog (or alternate assessment) should take 15-20 minutes
and Part 6, performing the assessment for the class, should take 10-15 minutes depending on how many performances you have time for.

If the students are running out of time in part 5, the independent practice of the exercises, you can assign the incompleted exercises for homework. If ther is not enough time for all students to perform on one day, the remaining students can perform on subsequent days.

I think you can plan a very good lesson adapting this methodology, which I have adapted from the PPP methodology (present practice perform) to your own preferred methods of lesson delivery. YOu can alter the timing, if  you want to emphasize a different aspect of the lesson.

What I like about about the PPP is that it starts out simple and gradually progresses in level of independent activity of the students. They activate their prior knowledge and interest in the topic in the warmup, and progress to learning something new that you teach them in the grammar and vocabulary parts of the lesson. Then they practice with the teacher, then independently. And finally, they take everything they have learned and create their own original product. Performing it cements their newly gaind knowledge and lets them share what they learned with their clasmates. YOu can gauge from their presentations (or artifacts) if they have leaqrned what you wanted them to learn, and their preformances will give you clues about what they need to work on next (pronunciation, order of adjectives, verb tenses, etc)

I am sure you will present a great lesson and impress your audience in your interview.
Good luck!

4 Jun 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thanks a lot, Mary !!

4 Jun 2011