Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What do you think about teachers ī freedom of speech?    

What do you think about teachers ī freedom of speech?

pauguzman
Argentina

What do you think about teachers ī freedom of speech?

I īve read this article today, and though I agree with the idea of avoiding bad public comments about our students on facebook, I really disagree with the restriction of speech in class.
What īs your opinion?

hugs, Paula

4 Jun 2011      

ELOJOLIE274
France

I don īt think one should say bad things about their pupils on facebook... would you like to learn that someone insulted you on facebook? I guess not, so always remember "don īt do to people what you don īt want people to do to you!"
we can talk about your pupils of course, but we shoudn īt insult them, or say this like "I wish X was dead"... that īs just common sense!

4 Jun 2011     

mariamit
Greece

I also agree that putting down our students on facebook is demeaning not only for them but also for the teacher who writes it. Respect is not given freely. It is earned and as Elojolie says, that means not doing to others what you do not wish to be done to you.  Freedom of speech in the classroom is another matter. Someone once said "Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions." If there is no freedom of speech in the classroom then you can īt really teach "the truth”. Unfortunately, very few of us have true freedom of speech in class. We are all bound by our curricula.

4 Jun 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

Would I like a student of mine discussing about me on the internet? No

I think that in most cases, only a teacher can understand the frustration of another teacher. That īs why I vent out in the staff room, behind closed doors.

Once it īs on the Internet, it īs there practically forever and  I īm very careful with what I say on my Facebook account or even in an email.

4 Jun 2011     

LILIAAMALIA
Greece

Well for me it all has to do with trust. Once they īre hooked on you, you can say whatever you want to them; they do know that sometimes you tease them, sometimes you challenge them and sometimes you just try to baffle them so as to respond. Students depend on us to open their minds and show them multiple ways of dealing with situations. They īre the future we īre the means they use to move forward!!

5 Jun 2011     

mumblebee
Israel

Great, Amalia! I īm in complete agreement with you!

5 Jun 2011