Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ENGLISH TEACHER X TEACHER OF ENGLISH WHO ARE WE??    

ENGLISH TEACHER X TEACHER OF ENGLISH WHO ARE WE??

aliciapc
Uruguay

Is it so, Jorgelina ??? New to me ! Thank you !!

5 Jun 2011     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Hi Alicia, as far I know, it is correct.

Some compound nouns may take either even or uneven stress. In even stressed compounds (both words are stressed) both elements retain their original meaning, like in �English �teacher = a teacher from England.

On the other hand, uneven stressed compounds, only the last element is stressed, the two elements do not retain their original meaning. So the compound gives birth to a new item of vocabulary, as in the case of �English teacher = a teacher who teaches English as a second language.
There are more examples of this but I have forgotten them!
Hugs from Concepci�n del Uruguay :)

5 Jun 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Aliciapc,

You ask: �In English, how do you say "Cada maestrillo con su librillo"?

A literal translation is something like: �Every Teacher has his/her own Method�.

There are idiomatic expressions.

�Every Man to his own Trade!�

�To each his own�

�Cobbler, stick to your Last!�

�Horses for Courses�.

�Have the Courage of your Convictions!�

�There is more than one way to Skin a Cat�.

�To go one�s own Way�.

�There�s Method in his Madness�.

�To go by the Book�.

�To have the Last Word�.

There are probably others which are appropriate.

Les

5 Jun 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you for the list of idioms, dear Les! And your translation was almost perfect, had the original phrase been: "Cada maestro con su libro", however in Spanish, the suffix "illo" is usually (I �m NOT saying always) added to words to diminish the quality, importance or value. Thus, personally I would not like to be called a "maestrilla"... Wink  

5 Jun 2011     

< Previous   1    2