Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Why the secretism?    

Why the secretism?

colibrita
United Kingdom

Why the secretism?

Hi Everyone, I know this is going to stir up a hornet �s nest but I �m curious...

Why can �t I know who �s downloading my worksheets?  I know some of you could care less who downloads your stuff but I am interested in knowing who my work appeals to. 

Not that my stuff ever gets stolen but it could also help to prevent copying.

Is it the same on other similar teaching material websites? That downloaders can remain anonymous?  Just wondering....

Ok, you can unleash the hornets now...!   Wink

Hugs

A curious little hummingbird!

6 Jun 2011      

Zora
Canada

Hi curious little hummingbird, :)

It �s pretty much the same on other sites - at least it is on two others I often frequent. I don �t think it has to do with secretism per say. I think it just has to do with how most of the downloading systems work. 

6 Jun 2011     

blunderbuster
Germany

Colibrita, I think we will have to stay happy with how things are. I am pretty obnoxious when it comes to making suggestions about improvements, I had one implemented (search by user) and I guess that is all we are going to get.

I would love to see who gets them, and, more importantly, what gets downloaded at all, without keeping track myself by taking notes (as some users here really suggested Wacko). I guess that would be one way to improve one �s work without all that belly gazing or simply copying....

It would help a lot to know what people get and who it is, even if the latter is quite hard to judge if we don �t know the people behind the avatar).

Warm regards
Regina

6 Jun 2011     

LILIAAMALIA
Greece

that �s a good one.why not all of us use our real photos?maybe then we �ll have a better idea of the people in here.again I don �t know.it would be funny though at first because we would all be confused....

6 Jun 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

@liliaamalia... I used my real picture previously and it scared everyone and caused babies to cry. (BTW that �s my dad in my avatar) Ed

6 Jun 2011     

crissorrir
Brazil

Ed, Looking at your dad�s picture, I don�t think you are so scaring like that.
Hugs!Smile

6 Jun 2011     

blunderbuster
Germany

Well, quoting Charlotte in SATC: "How well do we ever know the people we sleep with?" If not even that does the trick, I am not sure an avatar can tell you so much about someone �s needs in the classroom ;o)

Oh, and karma will do that for you...who knows who of my ancestors might be hidden in my avatar ;o))

6 Jun 2011     

victor
Spain

Hello Colibrita,

The main reason is, as usual, the server �s capacity.
If, let �s say, each printable is downloaded by 20 users and we have 400000 printables, that would be... 8000000 downloads. That �s a lot of information for the database, and It �s not really essential.

Hugs.

6 Jun 2011     

LILIAAMALIA
Greece

that �s understandable.now I �ve decided it. I �m changing my avatar with a true photo of me.what kind of a person you think I am?Cinderella was cute and naive.

6 Jun 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

In an ideal world, everyone would leave at least a little thank you comment when downloading and that way there would be no secrecy......Wink

6 Jun 2011     

ALI ALI
Egypt

well i believe that the easiest way is that when ever any of us downloads another member �s wss he/ she should waste a few moments and write a thank you note to the sender who spent maybe hours to prepare such appreciated work that helps us alot in class, I really wait every day for the moment when I see all the thank you notes sent to me. what do you think? done deal members?

6 Jun 2011