Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Where did you learn English?    

Where did you learn English?

edrodmedina
United States

Where did you learn English?

I�m curious as to where members of this forum learned English. While English is the language I speak best, I spoke Spanish first. My family moved to Brooklyn, New York from Puerto Rico when I was 7 and I went to school in New York until my first year of college.  When I was younger (so much younger than today) I enjoyed reading comics and developed a great love for reading. Alfred Hitchcock�s mystery anthologies were favorites of mine as are the works of Edgar Allen Poe, Jules Verne and just about all children´s books authors past and present. So that�s basically how and where I learned English. How about you?

6 Jun 2011      

mariannina
Italy

Good question!
When I was a little girl (a loooooooot of time ago!Embarrassed) French was the language we used to speak and, don �t say it, I loved English. My first attempts to learn it were through  songs and U.S.A. Far West movies. Gary Cooper, Doris Day, Burt Lancaster were my heroes!
At the age of 20 I started to spend long periods in London. My longest one was a whole year after  my university degree. I used to be a baby sitter to pay my studies. When I became a teacher I continued with my visits to London and U.K. in general.
Well, this is my story in two words but actually it �s a 45 year long story!
Ciao

6 Jun 2011     

LILIAAMALIA
Greece

Well my first language is Greek. I started learning English when I was 8 years old because it was something every child should do. At the age of 11 I started learning French which was my choice.When I was 16 years old I got the Cambridge Proficiency Certificate, and the Certificat in French. English was coming natural to me because I used it with my friends both in written and spoken form to talk about matters our parents shouldn �t know about. When it was time for me to sit for my university exams so as to see what I would study. I thought that English Language and Literature would be the best as I wouldn �t have any problems following the academic lesson and at same time have a fabulous student life away from home. And that I did. While studying at university I spent time in London attending seminars on teaching and after graduating I started working immediately. There has never been a day that I hadn �t a teaching job. I also did the RSA course on methodology of teaching. Now I have my own Language school where I teach and have fun. That �s my story!

6 Jun 2011     

annelaure
France

Hi, that �s a good question though... my mother tongue is French and I started learning English at school at the age of 11. I decided then to study German at university and while I was an exchange student in Austria I met my husband who is British.... so we moved to London and I started learning English for real then, what helped was that I lived in a flat share, plus I started working as a trainee teacher in London and had to speak English all day (although my level of English was pretty poor!), I watched TV with subtitles too which was very useful. I am a very sociable person as well which probably helped me improve my English very quickly.
We decided after 3 years to move to France and as a teacher I speak English in class, I very rarely speak French in class, and at home we speak both languages. 
Voil�!

6 Jun 2011     

franknbea
United Kingdom

my parents moved from Portugal to England when I was about to start school, as a result I had to wait six months for a place in a school in London, in that time I learned English at home by watching TV, programs like Playschool, Rainbow and Play Away, among others and of course reading, Roald Dhal being a particular favourite, but also anything from Superman to Dennis the menace. By the time I started school I was comfortable (if not fluent) with the language. I grew up in London but never developed a cockney accent, having more of an English accent than a London one (believe me when I tell you there is a difference).
 At the tender young age of thirty seven I moved to the USA and spent five years living on Long Island and working in Manhattan, after that time I got home sick and returned to London, but with a dialect that was a mixture of London, New York and a touch of je ne sais quoi, just to cause confusion.
To make a complicated story even more so I now live and work in Poland where I have been since 2009.
if I ever decide to learn English again i wouldn �t do it any other wayLOL

6 Jun 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

My first language is French but living in Quebec means you are surrounded by the ROC (rest of Canada) and USA. It �s kind of hard not to hear English.

I studied English mostly at school from elementary to university. I learnt a lot on my own, by watching tv and reading books.

6 Jun 2011     

lapaoiza
Argentina

Hi! I�m from Argentina and, as you know, we don�t speak English unless we study somewhere and those places are the one places where you could practice your English (before internet, of course).
My first contact with Englis was in primary school (7 years old) where I had one English class 40 min a week ... When I finished my primary school I was given a scholarship in an English Institute, where I studied more intensively English (I had English lesson in my secondary school as well, but they weren�t as advanced as in the institute). When I graduated I decided to study in the English Teacher trainee university but I studied for 3 years and then I gave up... However, I can teach in lots of places and, as the internet has been spread and got around the world, I continue reading and learning more and more everyday. I�m not an expert, but I think I can speak it fluently and I can also teach it to the ones who want to learn. I love surfing the net reading in English and also watching movies in English... they are a great way of self-studying for myself.
:)
Paola

6 Jun 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Very interesting stories! 
My native language is Russian but I speak Ukrainian very naturally.
My mom not-knowingly blessed me to study English and this is how it happened:
When I was 6, my parents and I were watching TV one night and there was a singer from America - Dean Reed- singing some song (I must say we didn �t get to watch American singers very often because at Soviet times all western culture was seen as "decaying capitalism" by the authorities), so I kept bugging my mom what language that man was speaking and what he sang, I just wanted to know that so badly. My mom said to me, "This man is singing in English, next year you will go to a specialized school and start learning English and some day you will be able to understand it." I did go to the specialized school where I studied English for 10 years, starting from grade 1, then I studied at the Foreign Languages Department at the University for 5 years and majored in English. The most valuable experience in language acquisition for me as a learner were the years when I worked as an interpreter with different native speakers: English, Canadians, Americans, Australians. And then of course my husband, who was then just a friend, influenced my proficiency in English, too. He has lived in the States for 6 months and also had an American as a roommate in Ukraine for about 9 months.
That �s my story:)
Sophia

6 Jun 2011     

ELOJOLIE274
France

interesting topic!
here �s my story:
when I was a teen I watched a lot of sitcoms and tv series from the US (i �m not saying "used to" coz i still do;) ) and I especially loved "Saved By The Bell": my secret dream was to meet Mark-Paul Gosselaar... so when I started learning English around 10, I had the ambition of living in the US in Los Angeles or anywhere cool and far away from France...
and I kind of fell in love with the English language at the same time... I can �t explain why but it seemed natural to me, as if I was always supposed to speak this language - although it was quite hard and I worked very hard to become fluent...
as time went by, my love for this language grew only stronger. I wanted to live abroad, far away from my parents, far away from my home town, and English seemed to be my way out.
I wanted to go and work as an au pair in England as soon as I was done with high school but my parents persuaded me to go to university instead. after 2 years there I was really unhappy: I was nowhere near fluent even though I was studying English 30 hours a week, I hated reading those "stupid" books, studying those "stupid" facts, writing those "stupid" essays... so I decided to apply for an au pair job in England.
when I arrived in England I soon realized it wasn �t the job of my dreams but I spoke English every day and gradually improved... I �ll always remember how I felt the morning I woke and realized I had dreamt in English... I felt so... ecstatic!
after my year as an au pair I went back to University in France and I suddenly loved everything I was studying, every book I was reading, every conversation I had in class...
I applied for an ERASMUS scholarship and a year after I had left England I was back, studying IN England, my dream!
after a year, I went back to France and started studying to become a teacher. 2 years later I applied for a teaching assistant job in the US and I finally realized my long lost dream of working and living in the US. Just before applying for this job, I had met someone, when I got the news it was really hard to imagine leaving him behind - but I went anyway and even though our year apart was tough our relationship survived! when I came back home we moved in together and it �s been 4 years last week... and although I miss Minnesota I �m happy to live in France, near my parents, I �ve come to realize how proud/happy I am of my origins!
3 years ago I finally became a teacher and I love the English language so much it �s always a pleasure to teach it and read it and speak it...

thank you for this wonderful topic ;)

6 Jun 2011     

gloriawpai
Brazil

My first languages were Mandarin and Cantonese because I was born in Hong Kong and my father spoke only Mandarin.  My family moved to Brazil when I was 3 and I only learned Portuguese at the age of 6, when I started my first grade. My parents hired a private English teacher at this time and a year later I went to an American school, in the morning and in the afternoon to a Brazilian school. After graduating from college, I moved to LA where I spent 5 years.  

6 Jun 2011     

Nereis
Argentina

As lapaoiza said I live in Argentina, so I speak Spanish as first language. I started learning English when I was seven in Rosario. Three years later my parents moved to C�rdoba and I followed my studies there. A year later we moved again and I met a "bad teacher" in my new hometown, so I stopped my studies until I was 20, when I  decided to study in the English Teacher trainee, and I felt in love with the language, and the British culture and history. Now I work at school and run my language institute. I �m really happy because I can enjoy my job a lot. I love to be a teacher!!!!

6 Jun 2011     

1    2    3    Next >