Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A simple question    

A simple question

melinaki
Greece

A simple question

Dear native english speaking colleagues what sounds better to you: eat healthy or eat healthily?
Thanks for your help
Melina

6 Jun 2011      

sango
Argentina

Hello Melina,
"Eat healthily" is much better or you could say "eat healthy food"

Regards,

sango

6 Jun 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

I would say "eat healthy" since it is understood here that �healthy � refers to the food you eat (adj) and not to the way you eat.

6 Jun 2011     

englishreader
Austria

I agree with Sango.

She eats healthy food.
She prefers healthy home made chips to frozen ones.

She always eats healthily.
She eats healthily unless she is stressed. When she �s stressed she always eats unhealthily.

As a native speaker I would never say "She eats healthy"! Healthy is an adjective, so it needs to be followed by a noun.

6 Jun 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

�Healthy � could be construed here as a flat adverb (like �fair �, �close �, �bad �, �direct � etc which have - ly forms as well). It �s usually an informal usage and personally speaking, I don �t really care what the �purists � say; it does its job exceeding well, thank you. 

"Adverb is as adverb does", as the saying goes.

6 Jun 2011     

Albanta3011
Costa Rica

If you are writing formal stuff, I would use "healthily" because that �s an adverb; however, I agree with Almaz that healthy sounds just fine.

7 Jun 2011     

Apodo
Australia

As a native speaker I would never say: She eats healthy
She eats healthily. (correct but formal)
She �s a healthy eater. (in everyday speech this would be my choice)

7 Jun 2011     

foose1
United States

I would say, "she eats healthy foods" or "she is a healthy eator."  I never say, "she eats healthily." Maybe it is correct but I have never in my life heard anyone in the US say healthily.  Maybe, I grew up in the wrong neighborhood (not in the hood).   Oh well, just an old guy that worked with Engineers and manufacturing people. 

7 Jun 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

Well ,fellow native speakers, this is a case of real English not following the rules and different countries disagreeing with each other. 
Like foose1 I must have been brought up in the wrong area because I have only heard "She eats healthily" among people who are very careful with their speech. 
 I am leaning towards "She is a healthy eater"
But then downunder we are likely to say "He tied his shoelaces wrong", instead of "He tied his shoelaces wrongly."  So what would we know! Ha! Ha!

7 Jun 2011