Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > reminder or reminiscent    

reminder or reminiscent

Aldegunde
Spain

reminder or reminiscent

HI everybody!
  I would appreciate some help with this: I have to describe a picture in which a saint is holding a knife, what should I say?: "the knife is a reminiscent of his martyrdom" or "reminder of his martyrdom". Which one sounds correct to native speakers?.. Thanks in advance

8 Jun 2011      

ksedman
Netherlands

Hi - just joined this site. Reminder is perfect - much better than reminiscent. Indefinite article would be better "a".

8 Jun 2011     

leebee
Thailand

Whilst �is reminiscent of � suggests a likeness or familiarity based on a memory, for example, �This place is reminscent of where I grew up �, �is a reminder of � is slightly different in that it refers to something which will �actively � bring to mind the second subject, object, or point of reference (or whatever the writer suggests!) in this case, �... his martyrdom �.
Whilst �is a reminder of � is ok (with article �a � as noted) I personally, here, would go with neither and instead use the word �signifies � which simply means what it says, that it denotes, is indicative of (reveals or points to) a particular object, or point:  �The knife signifies his martyrdom � =  �(The knife) is indicative of (his martyrdom) �
Hope this isn�t too long winded and that it helps,
Lee :)

8 Jun 2011     

zoemorosini
United States

a symbol of his martyrdom

or

signifies/represents his martyrdom

8 Jun 2011