Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is "take the register" the right expression when you start the class and name all your students?    

Is "take the register" the right expression when you start the class and name all your students?

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Is "take the register" the right expression when you start the class and name all your students?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Yolanda

8 Jun 2011      

yanogator
United States

It �s "take the roll" or "take attendance".

Bruce

8 Jun 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

"Call the roll" is also used. Ed

8 Jun 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Isn �t the register a book where you keep attendance and assessment records?
Here �s what you can find in the Oxford Advanced Learner �s Dictionary:
(British EnglishThe teacher called the register (= checked who was present at school).
Sophia

8 Jun 2011     

HollyHirst
United Kingdom

In British English �take the register � is fine.  It �s when you call out all the names and note down who �s there. That �s what I say when I start a lesson �ok guys, let �s take the register � :)

8 Jun 2011     

mariec
Spain

Roll-call is what I�ve always used, which means "a process of calling out a list of names to establish who is present."

Happy dreams.

9 Jun 2011     

Sevenastious
Spain

As a child and now as a teacher myself, in England, I �ve always known it as take the register.

9 Jun 2011