Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > We´ve enjoyed the show/ we enjoyed the show    

We´ve enjoyed the show/ we enjoyed the show

aura+
Portugal

We´ve enjoyed the show/ we enjoyed the show

Hi everyone!

Could someone help me with this doubt? Recently, after a show (a theatre play) , a colleague of mine thanked the actors telling them: ��I�m sure the pupils have enjoyed the show as much as we have.� The actors were still on stage, but the play had already finished. Shouldn�t she have said �(...) the pupils enjoyed the show as much as we did.�?

Thanks

Aura

17 Dec 2008      

wolfy
Chile

It depends, remember you have to wait for the fat lady to sing. �Then the show is officially over. �In the case you mentioned Aura, I think that as they are still on stage the show has technically not finished so present perfect fits the bill.

17 Dec 2008     

aura+
Portugal

Thanks for the quick reply! You see ( shame is my name...) I LIED ABOUT �THE COLLEAGUE� : I was the one who said that! And I spoke -using a microphone- for the entire school! No one has told me a thing about this, but I�ve been crucifying myself because I�m not sure the present perfect was correct in the context; I still believe the past simple would be more appropriate.�

thanks�

17 Dec 2008     

libertybelle
United States

What you said was right.

No use splitting hairs here.
I would have said the same.

I think had sounds too far back in time.

18 Dec 2008     

aura+
Portugal

thanks libertybelle!�

That comes as a relief!

I�ll sleep much better tonight!

Aura

18 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Yes, and also... "grammatically" it would have been correct too to have used it... since it�s a past that is extremely recent! LOL  Though honestly, I wouldn�t have thought about that and just instinctively used the Present Perfect tense! 

18 Dec 2008