Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What we use to clean the board    

What we use to clean the board

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

What we use to clean the board

Hi colleagues! I �d like to ask about the name of what we use to clean the board.  Is it correct/ appropriate to call it duster?
Thanks for your help.

9 Jun 2011      

HollyHirst
United Kingdom

Hmmm, I say �board rubber � but that �s almost definitely a British English thing!  I don �t know what other options are out there.  Personally, I �d say duster was wrong.  That refers specifically to a cloth used for removing dust from furniture etc (dusting!). I �d check with speakers from other natives from other countries too though.

9 Jun 2011     

redcamarocruiser
United States

For old fashioned chalk boards and smart boards and white boards I call it an eraser.

In Germany they do not use an eraser like here in the US. My German colleague tells me that they use water and a squeegy (like we use for wasing windows. He sways that washing the board instead of erasing it cuts down of chalk dust.

http://www.homeroomteacher.com/images/eraser_chalkboard.jpg is what I call an eraser.

9 Jun 2011     

ELMO.
Spain

I call it eraser!! hope this helps :)

9 Jun 2011     

tulpen25
Netherlands

I clean my whiteboard with a cloth. A duster is usually yellow and something I associate with polishing furniture.

9 Jun 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Duster                                            eraser

9 Jun 2011     

Zora
Canada

Definitely, an eraser. Smile 

9 Jun 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Definitely a duster....

...in Scotland and Ireland...

...and maybe Hong Kong...

...and some other parts of the English-speaking world...

...where an eraser is also a rubber and dusters can also be feather and cotton and wool and felt and paper and horsehair and polypropylene and...

...coats...

...and planes...

9 Jun 2011     

annna
Slovenia

What about a sponge and water?     Wink

9 Jun 2011     

abba
Spain

According to wordreference eraser in AmE and board rubber in BrE. Hope it helps.

9 Jun 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Duster is OK and perfectly appropriate. Where did you come across the word anyway?

[If, for example, you wanted to sell one or more of these items, what word would you use to describe it? Well, see herehere  and here.]

By the way, I haven �t used a blackboard/chalkboard for years, but I do remember that using a damp cloth was a no-no.

9 Jun 2011     

1    2    Next >