Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with the past continuous    

Help with the past continuous

gordana44
Croatia

Help with the past continuous

Could anyone please help me. Which sentence is correct?

1. I suddenly noticed that everyone in the race was having the same face, even my friends or 2. I suddenly noticed that everyone in the race had the same face, even my friends.

Thanks for your help.

13 Jun 2011      

yanogator
United States

Remember that continuous tenses emphasize the time involved and activity; the simple tenses emphasize the result. Since your example doesn �t really want to emphasize that their faces were the same throughout the race, but rather at the one time you looked, you want "had".

I noticed that everyone had the same face.
I noticed that John was having trouble breathing during the race. (emphasis on having trouble over time, not just at one moment)

Bruce

13 Jun 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Also, to add to Bruce �s , the past is called "continuous" because it is used for an action that continued in the past, that wasn �t over, as with past simple.

13 Jun 2011     

Albanta3011
Costa Rica

On top of that, "have" is usually not used in continuous tense. There are accepted statements such as: I �m having breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Also you can say I �m having a lot of problems.

But either you have a car or do not. "You are having a car" does not sound well.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Gerardo

13 Jun 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

If it is about a strange dream and they actually had the same face, I would efinitely use HAD. If it is about a facial expression, could you use make instead? They were making faces? And the same ones? 

13 Jun 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

What Gerardo says has to do with stative and dynamic meanings of "have" .   @ gordana : in your sentences you used "have" with a stative meaning, that �s why it can �t take -ing .

13 Jun 2011