Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > WHAT SHOULD I SAY?    

WHAT SHOULD I SAY?

Yolandaprieto
Spain

WHAT SHOULD I SAY?

Is it correct to say "My last summer �s holidays" or it is better to say "my last summer holidays"?

I am preparing a text to upload I when I was about to send it,  I wasn �t sure about the correct expression.
Thanks in advance
Yolanda

13 Jun 2011      

treasure0911
France

I �d go with �last summer holiday � since there is no belonging between holiday and summer. It is just a description.

13 Jun 2011     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

I know but there are exception with certain expressions of time and I don �t know if this is the case.
Yolanda

13 Jun 2011     

libertybelle
United States

My last summer holiday is correct.  (how many holidays did you have?)
In reality a holiday is a holy day and a vacation is time off from work.

13 Jun 2011     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

I am afraid that in American English you use vacation while in B.E they use holiday(s).
Is that correct?
Yolanda

13 Jun 2011     

libertybelle
United States

It varies - Yolanda - I �ve heard them use both- just like in the states, but the original definition was holy day and vacation. Language changes.

13 Jun 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Lisa... maybe the British consider all days on their vacation time to be holy... hence the "holidays" expression!! LOL

Just kiddin �. But if you check the occurence of either one of them in The Guardian and in The NY Times, for example, you �ll see that the Brits usually refer to Holyday(s) when talking about some time off work or away.

13 Jun 2011     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

My  last Summer Holidays sounds definitely better.

BE is quite different from AmE.

My Summer vacation(AMe) or My Summer Holidays(BE) are both correct.

Holy day is more associated to a spiritual meaning though it has evoluted as liberty belle said.

Well.Despite the origins Holidays or Vacation time are great don �t you think?

14 Jun 2011     

crisholm
Spain

�My last summer holidays � - �summer � is a noun used in an adjective position, just as when you say �the car windows �. Hope it helps!
And look forward to your summer holidays!

14 Jun 2011