Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help please- about class management    

Help please- about class management

nesrininci
United Arab Emirates

Help please- about class management

Hi everyone, 

I would like to ask for your opinions and experiences. I will start teaching highschool students in September. I �ve been teaching for a year now but since I �m working in a language center my class sizes are not more than 4 students. And I �ve only tought to highschool students for twice. 

I �m normally getting on well with my students, until now, I haven �t had any problems with them. I �m patient and love teaching. But since I will start at a school and with high school students, I �m a bit nervous on creating the suitable class management. 

The hormones work really fast with the teens- I know that :) But I want to be able to create a health environment in my classroom. There will be nearly 25 teens in front of me and I need your advise and help! 

What would be the best way to approach them?

Thank you in advance!

Nesrin

14 Jun 2011      

Redbull
Thailand

My students call me the mad British teacher I wonder why.....?

Just have fun with your teaching....but have a firm foundation with it!

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

14 Jun 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Is this the new caption game????

14 Jun 2011     

Apodo
Australia

LOL Ed!!

14 Jun 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

WinkEd!!

14 Jun 2011     

kodora
Greece

If you google "classroom management strategies/techniques for high school teachers/students" you will find some helpful articles and tips.
Good luck!
Dora

14 Jun 2011     

Errie
Japan

Dear Nesrin,

Make sure that you tell them what they can and cannot do during YOUR class and VERY IMPORTANT.... stick to that. Just make a deal with them like... If you do this...this will happen. They are going to try you out for sure. Don �t be afraid or be nervous about that. Remind them about the deal you �ve made with a big smile on your face.

It �s not a lot of advice but I hope it will help a bit.
Good luck!

errie

14 Jun 2011     

nesrininci
United Arab Emirates

Dear Errie,

Thank you for your advise. I thought that I could create rules about my lesson with them. This way they could participate in rule making and cannot brake them. I guess this will work with them. 

@ Dora; thanks :) I googled the topic but wanted to get advise from first- hand!

14 Jun 2011     

kodora
Greece

Well,I can �t give you specific advice on how to teach high school students since I teach younger students.But,I think that creating the right environment in your class means showing respect to each student regardless of their academic performance, being interested in their own interests and trying to integrate them in your lessons.One should be well prepared and organized before each lesson and state clearly what you expect from them at the beginning of the year.Also,ask them to "make a contract" with rules that they decide and ask them to sign it.This way, you can "press" them every time they misbehave.Teens are very susceptible to peer pressure and their need to have their classmates approval -especially of the opposite sex-sometimes leads them to causing trouble in class.But,every class is different and it is up to you to define your course of action.

14 Jun 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

WAY back when I was a student!! I remember teachers like my History or woodwork teacher

The History teacher would take us nearly always outside to play out the scenes from say world war two or King Arthur....and he would bring in or make us make up costums for this.

My woodwork teacher would tell us every time we had classes with him jokes but if you crossed the line we got a two by two piece of wood across our ass!.

What I �m trying to say is students respect and will always remember the fun they had in lessons with these type of teachers and forget the ones that bring on these rules and our very strict, boring with their lessons!

web link here as an example

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

14 Jun 2011