Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help    

Help

crissorrir
Brazil

Help

Hello everybody!
I�m going to work a song in one of my classes, but there are two words or expressions that I really couldn�t understand.
The song is : I�m yours   by Jason Mraz

"Won�t you come on
 Scooch on over closer dear
 And I will nibble your ear"

I couldn�t understand the parts in red.
 Thank you very much in advance.Smile

14 Jun 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

schooch over means move over... nibble means to take little bites

14 Jun 2011     

yanogator
United States

To add a little to Ed �s explanation, "scooching" is usually done while seated (on a bench or sofa, maybe, so that moving over a little brings the people closer together). It is done without standing up - sort of a combination of sliding and little hops, depending on the surface of the seat.

Bruce

14 Jun 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

�Scooch� is a great wee word, isn�t it? I reckon it�s a portmanteau which blends scoot (�slide over�) and smooch (�kiss and cuddle�). A bit like �smog�, �brunch� and �Spanglish� - or maybe even �Portlish�.

14 Jun 2011     

yanogator
United States

Alex,
I think it �s more of a deteriation than a portmanteau word. "Smog", "brunch" and "Spanglish" were all "invented" words - consciously put together. I think that "scooch" just evolved from "scoot", with some other influences.

That �s just my evaluation.

Bruce

14 Jun 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Er... portmanteau words, Bruce, are, by definition, �invented �.

14 Jun 2011