Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > QUITE, RATHER, FAIRLY    

QUITE, RATHER, FAIRLY

Urpi
Peru

QUITE, RATHER, FAIRLY

Hi dear ones: I need to know what is the difference among these words: in the meaning if we put them from decreasing to increasing. and the usage as well. Thanks a bunch. 

14 Jun 2011      

zoemorosini
United States

1.  Quite common= a little less than very common  (It �s quite common to see Americans carrying coffee with them to work on a daily basis)
2.  Rather common=somewhat common, but less than quite common (It �s rather common for people to bring their own lunch to work daily)
3.  Fairly common=somewhat common, but less than rather common (It �s fairly common for people to skip breakfast altogether or to buy their lunch)

14 Jun 2011     

yanogator
United States

I disagree a little. I take "quite" and "very" to be the same, but "quite" is a little more formal.

Bruce

14 Jun 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Funnily enough, if someone says that my recent drawing, piece of writing or whatever is �quite good �, I usually assume they �re actually damning it with faint praise (unless, of course, they �re just intensely jealous). If they say it �s �rather good �, I assume they thought it would be worse. If they say it �s �fairly good �, I usually go back to the drawing board.

14 Jun 2011     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

It �s quite (as in absolutely) amazing that no-one recognises your  talent, Alex.  Maybe you just haven �tbeen showing your work to the right people!

14 Jun 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Bloody Philistines!

14 Jun 2011     

Urpi
Peru

Confused

14 Jun 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Oh, Urpi! It �s just a bit of fun.

Anyway, remember that context and function are important. The OED, for example, gives different uses of �quite�: the emphatic/intensive ( �I�m quite alone� meaning �very�) or the subtractive ( �it�s quite dark� meaning �not completely�). So, asking to rank these words as decreasing to increasing doesn �t really make a lot of sense.

14 Jun 2011     

Urpi
Peru

Okay I get it. Thanks a lot for your help.

15 Jun 2011