Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Camping vocab    

Camping vocab

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Camping vocab

Hi dear friends, good morning, wishing all and one a wonderful day.
I �m asking for help with a specific word.
In a camping site, places are usually divided into cells, where each group of people can park the caravans, cars, tents, whatever.What would you call to that area which belongs to you, you pay for it - would " pitch " be the correct word? I tried to google, but I �m not sure about what I found. From the old times I spent holidays in camping sites I think I remember the word pitch, but when I tried to check, I was not that sure.
Tank you all
hugs
linda

16 Jun 2011      

almaz
United Kingdom

�Pitch � is fine, Linda. The UK Camping and Caravanning Club can even provide you with pitch categories on their club sites (see here). 

�Pitch � is also the verb for setting up your tent.

16 Jun 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Almaz
Thank you so much for your explanation and for the link, too.Smile
Have a nice day

Linda

16 Jun 2011     

maceman
Canada

Good morning,
Here in Canada, we pitch a tent (the action of assembling it and setting it up) and we pitch our tents at a camp site.
We would say "I would like to reserve a camp site please."
Just another perspective from another country.
Have a great day!

16 Jun 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Maceman

It �s always interesting to see how different the same language can be, in different countries. I understand it quite well, we have the same situation with Portuguese in Portugal, Brazil, Angola, etc.

Anyway, now I would like to check something else; when I say camping site, I am referring to the whole place, with all the tents, caravans, bungalows, and all the facilities. What do you call it, in Canada?

If you are still around I �d like to hear from you.Smile

Thanks a lot
Linda

16 Jun 2011     

Zora
Canada

We also call it a camp site, Linda dear. Although, not all of them have facilities. Some are for the die-hard campers and only offer outdoor latrines, others have showers, hook ups for electricity, etc.

16 Jun 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

We call it a camp site or a campground.  As Linda said some camp sites have many facilities and some have next to none.  I prefer campgrounds with facilities.

16 Jun 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Wow, there are many Canadian camping lovers Wink.

I also prefer tons of facilities, though the most amusing time was in a camping with a freezing river to take a bath, no showers at all, and we certainly had a lot of fun.

Thanks for clarifying this point, too. Love you
Have a nice day

Linda

16 Jun 2011