Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > talk about    

talk about

colita
Costa Rica

talk about

Can we ever say in English "the article talks about..."? It sounds good to me...but is it ok? Thnx for your help!

18 Jun 2011      

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi colita

I have read it used that way, but I prefer to say "the article is about/deals with/has to be with/tells us ..."

18 Jun 2011     

dturner
Canada

I agree with Tere-arg.  �Talks about � is used, but in my mind, may be a bit less formal.  It is certainly used, however, but I guess it depends on the situation.  Also used are; this article details, this article deals with, this article is about, this article focuses on, this article contains, this article emphasizes, the/this article states that....  I would not use has to be with.  Tells us, uses "us" and in a formal paper would not be used either.  

18 Jun 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

The article talks about� is fine, although I reckon it�s more likely to be used informally. Then again, I�m sure if you look close enough, you�ll find it in some formal contexts (academic, political, business) too. If you�re not happy with �talk�, you can always use �discuss� or �examine�, depending - as ever - on the context.

18 Jun 2011