Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Current Conversation topics for Advanced Level    

Current Conversation topics for Advanced Level

colibrita
United Kingdom

Current Conversation topics for Advanced Level

Hi All,

I �m super short of time, does anyone have ideas of current news topics that could be good for my conversation classes this week?

So far all I �ve come across is the "human milk" from Chinese GM cows story

I �ve already checked out "Breaking English", in fact that �s probably where I discovered the milk controversy.

Thanks in advance

Hugs from a sultry Barcelona!

Colibrita

20 Jun 2011      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Have you tried wiki news?

What about  changes in the internet naming practices?

Facebook privacy issues.

Iphone tracking its customers without their knowledge.

20 Jun 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

one �someecards � there was an article bout some girl getting a tattoo of all her facebook friends and I think yesterday or the day before I someone here uploaded a worksheet on an article about some kid selling one of his organs in order to buy an ipod....

20 Jun 2011     

juanchis
Costa Rica

breakingnewenglish.com you can find plenty of news (current)

20 Jun 2011     

nashaider2
Bahrain

what about leting them choose their own topic.  it might help u to see their own taste!!
try it

20 Jun 2011     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Thanks for your ideas so far, keep them coming! Sorry; I meant to write Breaking News English! Actually I do get my students to bring their own articles and ideas too, but I can �t turn up empty-handed, plus it �s always a bonus if they actually want to discuss the things that interest you.

20 Jun 2011     

redcamarocruiser
United States

The US is negotiating with the Taliban.
Starting experiments using embrionic cells to recover one �s eyesight.
The voucher plan for Medicaid by the GOP (Republican party).

20 Jun 2011     

Biadd
Brazil

Hi, I �ve just posted a power poit activity about money, i don �t know if it �t the kind your students will like but it can vary a lit bit from articles and so on... i hope you enjoy it.

21 Jun 2011     

Jayho
Australia

I have laminated the entire series of conversation cards at eslpartyland and  always keep a few sets in my bag for those moments when I need an activity or a diversion

I have found some of the topics highly suited to my advanced learners such as:

What I sometimes do is put a different set on each group of tables and students can join the table that interests them.

Cheers

Jayho

21 Jun 2011     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Some other ideas:

Euthanasia
Life on other planet/galaxy
Discrimination
Does everybody have a price?
Capital punishment
An eye for an eye
Censorship?
Crime and punishment
Law and justice
Education today
Freedom and licentiousness
Rights and duties
Will e-books replace paper books?
Addictions
Technology and communication

21 Jun 2011     

mariec
Spain

My students are having their oral exams this week. These are some of the topics they have prepared:

All about chocolate.    The Catholic Church                                          
 Enegry drinks.            Social webs.                                                    
All about coffee            Flameco Dancing        
My trip to Fatima.          The Death Penalty
Uniforms                         My horse.                                    Secret  Societies                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
 Television                                                                                                                                                                        
Lady Gaga.
The Olympic Games.
Tennis
Basketball.
My town Soria.
My trip to England
Fairy Oak.
Violence in sport.
 Bob Marley
Spanish Tapas.
Guillian Barre�Syndrome
Teenagers and their problems.