Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > CVs    

CVs

Zora
Canada

CVs

I just want to vent a little about something that as an employer annoys the heck out of me. CVs exclusively in Spanish (or Galician). I already know that you, as a potential employee, speak your mother tongue and I, as a potential employer, would like to see a demonstration of the English that you, as an experienced English teacher that you profess to be, have... or say you have.

A CV in English, as well as in Spanish, if you must - or at the least a cover letter in English, goes a very long way with most employers! Please, don �t tell me about the courses you �ve done, show me instead.

I absolutely hate getting CVs for English that aren �t in English - or don �t have a cover letter in English at least. And I hate even more the excuse, "Well, not everybody speaks English at such and such a place... maybe the owner doesn �t speak it..." Trust me when I say this - there is ALWAYS somebody at an English centre that speaks English!

Having said this, I tend to discard CVs that aren �t in English. I �d rather hire a native, without a degree, that I know knows English than waste my time trying to guess if I really want to set up an interview to find out how much this person knows. Call me ruthless (or lazy) but I am guessing that many places do the same as me... time is money and if you can �t take the time to demonstrate what you know, then I don �t have the time to find out what you say, you  know.

I guess job skills are not taught any more at school... which is a pity because I really believe that they are necessary.

Any ways, sorry about the rant.. but I am alone this afternoon and I can´t bitch to my co-worker about my pet peeve... Embarrassed

Thanks for listening,
Linda

22 Jun 2011      

MarionG
Netherlands

I at least forgive your ranting, I think that for many teachers here you give a solid piece of advice; when applying for a position to teach English, send a CV in English....

22 Jun 2011     

Zora
Canada

Thank you Marion. Smile It amazes me that most people don �t want to show off their English skills. A CV is a perfect opportunity to do so.

I also suspect that the girl who dropped off her CV today, was the one who called me yesterday to see when we were open because she wanted to drop off a resume... I mean, my accent is distinctly NOT Spanish, and you might have thought that she �d at least try to show me in some way that I should hire her... *shakes head*

22 Jun 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I completely agree with you, Linda, and have the same attitude towards CVs in Spanish. As a coordinator at school , I sometimes get CVs which say : personal information, studies and job experience - as if it were a telegram. And that �s it.
The cover letter is a must, of course, it �s the first impression the employer gets before he/she meets the applicant, it �s the possibility for the applicant to express him/herself in proper, correct English so as to make the employer want to meet him/her !
So it �s not only in Galicia, you see ... Hug

22 Jun 2011     

Zora
Canada

Thank you Alicia Hug it �s good (or maybe not so much really if you think about it Confused) to know that it �s just not a "regional" problem. Part of me just sighs in exasperation when I get CVs without cover letters, see spelling mistakes - in Spanish, are 4 - 5 pages long - quite the opposite to your problem lol, etc...

22 Jun 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

I WISH that was the case here.... Until I had my CV and cover letter in SWEDISH I got nowhere. They didn �t care about qualifications and experience (and that is true for at least 3 different employers I have had for various contracts)- what is most important to them is that you can communicate in Swedish so you can fill in the paperwork AND be able to communicate in Swedish if the student/class wants. After all they are the ones paying the money to the company.

Stupid right?
Sigh.

Anyway- totally agree with you!

22 Jun 2011     

yanogator
United States

Yes, cheezels, stupid! I would say that a school/institution that doesn �t make English (if that is what they are supposed to be teaching) the priority is not a place you want to work.

When I taught English at Cincilingua here in Cincinnati, the first rule was that we were to communicate only in English. Of course, this is an English school in the US, so that is more natural. However, if any school wants their students to learn English, they should immerse the students in the language and do everything they can to hire people with the same philosophy.

Bruce

22 Jun 2011     

Zora
Canada

Goodness, I remember you mentioning that Cheezels... and I agree with Bruce, it is insane not to want people to demonstrate their English skills when applying for a teaching job.  Too bad things like that can get in the way of hiring good teachers.

22 Jun 2011     

rounke.odubiyi
Nigeria

would you mind if i forward a cover letter and my CV?

If you do not mind, do send me your mailing address.

Many thanks

Rounke.

22 Jun 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

I agree completely. 

Alas, there �s even more. Isn �t it plain stupidity from the part of applicants to send a CV with no cover letter whatsoever? Or a cover email simply saying �Please find CV attached. Hope to hear from you soon �... Yeah right. Angry

Also, many applicants have no idea whatsoever how to put a decent CV together. Some CVs run on for 3 or 4 pages but only half a page is relevant. No, I DO NOT want to hear that you were an assistant beverage manager in a fancy hotel, nor that in a previous job you were responsible for the whole IT department and the implementation of SAP Management software version 13.5! Pig

I want an English teacher who can teach and is fluent in English. Gotta run. Have to go and empty yet another overflowing recycle bin. Cool

23 Jun 2011