Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD OF THE DAY - June 24    

WORD OF THE DAY - June 24

Anna P
Brazil

WORD OF THE DAY - June 24

Tongue Here we go again!  Today is June 24, the day Brazilians celebrate S.Jo�o (Saint John the Baptist) with bonfires, games, squaredances, countrystyle clothes, fake freckles and mustaches, delicious food such as peanut brittle, cocadas - a delicious coconut sweet,  corn...  Even Google is celebrating. 
It �s also my grandaughter �s birthday and the day we �ll see lot �s of funny and silly "daffynitions" of the word...

SPHAIRISTIKE

24 Jun 2011      

anitarobi
Croatia

Honestly, I thought it was a case of misspelling and somebody just wanted to write FAIRY STRIKE... but perhaps that is the point - it is a secret message from fairy to fairy, that �s why it �s not spelled correctly - they �re about to go on strike because they feel people have stopped believing in them... Go, fairies, go! Tink rules!

24 Jun 2011     

rpellicano
Brazil

Well, it seems that I HAVE TO Ermm try so here I go.  Sphairistike is a kind of batik people from SP (S�o Paulo) wear on their hair and wrist whenever they go to a fair.

24 Jun 2011     

Sara26
Brazil

Oh my, that is a hard one Anna! Sphair = a family name (I had neighbours with this one). Stike = a misspelling of "strike". So, it would mean the Sphairs � football strike team !! Wink

BTW, Happy Birthday to your granddaughter !

24 Jun 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Few people know that Medusa was a vertically challenged creature. What may you say does this have to do with today �s WOD. Well thank you for asking. Let �s try to analyze our word:
SPHAIRISTIKE SP= short person   hair=dah hair of course    stike=25 eels (don �t take my word for it look it up http://www.sizes.com/units/stike.htm) Therefore SPHAIRISTIKE means a short person with eels for hair. Hmmm who could that be? You guessed it...Medusa of course!

24 Jun 2011     

eng789
Israel

Sounds like fun.  Have a great day and Happy Birthday.
Sphair as in spare hair
is-tik-e as in is sticky

it is a glue for toupees and wigs.

24 Jun 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hello, dearest Anna! My shot at your WOD is....

sphair = sphere

stike = mispelled "spike"

so, the word is sphere-shaped hair that is all spiked up!
SPHAIRISTIKE

25 Jun 2011