Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Ideas    

Ideas

justinwade82
Thailand

Ideas

I have enjoyed many, many powerpoints and worksheets and I want to thank everyone who has contributed and to say your welcome to people who have downloaded my stuff.  My current problem is that most of the topics on here have been done to death in both powerpoints and worksheets.  Does anyone have the same problem and if so what do you do about it?

27 Jun 2011      

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hello Justin, I haven �t downloaded much lately, for exactly the same reason you mention (although many ws are excellent and that �s why I download them anyway, in spite of having the topic dealt with in others... ) What to do about it ? Why not suggesting ideas in this thread for all of us to take note ? Maybe some of us could pick a grammar point for instance and prepare something ! What about it ?

27 Jun 2011     

justinwade82
Thailand

Sounds good. I would like to see more contributions on hip hop slang as hip-hop slang has contributed more words to the dictionary and English speaking culture than any other form of pop culture excepting the internet/technology.  My students love hip-hop and they would love a student-friendly worksheet/presentation. I"m working on a hip-hop pictionary but would love to see other people �s ideas or even hear from them. 
NOTE:  Please be aware that "has got" is not acceptable American grammar.  I understand that the phrase is more accepted by British grammar and is used more in conversational English but it is grammatically incorrect according to the Blue Book of Grammar and the second verb makes one sound redundant and uneducated.   Ex:  He has got red hair vs. He has red hair. The second phrase is grammatically correct and therefore should be used and taught.
Would love to hear your opinions.

27 Jun 2011     

Zora
Canada

As my mother likes to say "Jesus Marie.." here we go again... "have got" is not grammatically incorrect anywhere on this green planet of ours... You could say, "It �s not used as much in such and such a place but not "it is grammatically incorrect". That would be like saying 2 +3 is not the same as 3 + 2...

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/have-got-grammar.aspx

27 Jun 2011     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi justinwade,

Have is an ordinary verb in American English, therefore it is used with the corresponding auxiliar in questions, negative and short answers.

In British English it is different.
Better explained: here

27 Jun 2011     

mariec
Spain

I loved the explaination given by you, Zora.

The mistake my students normally make is using " hadn�t instead of didn�t have" in the

past tense, or using " had got " when it should be " had ".

I really don�t mind which they use in the present tense as long as they use the auxiliar verb

"do/does" with have.

HAVE A GREAT WEEK!!

27 Jun 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Justin, I �m sure it �s no accident that the authority you cite for your �NOTE � is a book written by a �life coach � who, according to her biog, �wrote the rules her way � (my italics). I get the impression she �d never read a good usage book in her life.

By the way, where did you find that "hip-hop slang has contributed more words to the dictionary and English speaking culture than any other form of pop culture"? I realise that it would have to be a fairly narrow definition of �pop culture �, but I �d still love to know your source.

27 Jun 2011