Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Homework not presented    

Homework not presented

Lucia13
Armenia

Homework not presented

Hello everyone,

With not so many years of experience,there are some situations that I am unable to solve in teaching yet...

What to do when the student doesn �t present the homework (no matter what the excuse)?

Just can �t find the best solution to this problem!

Hope someone could help,

27 Jun 2011      

maryse pey�
France

is this the 1st time ? Is this student used to the fact ? Did his excuse sound true ? Is he a serious student or a lazy one ?

You must take in account all these elements. If the student is usually serious, this non presentation may be a real "incident". So give him a 2nd chance telling him to present the homework the day after and correct it (if it is an exercise you have planned to correct in class) when you have got the missing work.

If he is a lazy student give him a 0 AND a 2nd homework for the day after. You will mark both and then erase the 0 only if he has given you the works done.

If he is a lazy student not giving you what you asked, not only you will keep the 0 but you will take him away 5 points from his average mark of the term.

Hope it will help you. And remember the students are able to do that only to see how far they can "play" with your patience. Don �t shout, it is useless AND stay firm about your final decision.

27 Jun 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Here is an idea I found on the net and I think it quite good to avoid any escalating in punishment, anger, ill feeling etc....

When a student does not complete his or her homework, I have them fill in a paper I �ve already made multiple copies of and are kept in a folder for each student. The slip of paper is divided into 3 sections: "Date", "Name of Assignment", and "Reason Why It �s Not Done". After 5 repeated incomplete homework assignments, I staple these slips together and send home for a parent signature. This usually helps things get back on track again.

Am looking for some more ideas for you LuciaWinkshall be back in a minute!!

Found some very sensible tips here:

http://www.teachermatters.com/classroom-discipline/case-studies-part-2/not-completing-homework.html

I am sure you will find a way! Smile

27 Jun 2011     

Hrym
Spain

Maybe first you should ask him/her about the reason and investigate a little more; sometimes personal problems directly have influence in their work; so maybe a good option could be to investigate a little bit his/her personal background and then act. The solutions that my collegues in here give you are also an option if the boy/girl is repeating this,day after day, with no reason at all.But what i have already learn about this problem is that is better to find a way to make him/her change and then give a simbolic prize than punish.

27 Jun 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I have a student who chronically skips homework. Once or twice I talked to him one on one (especially after his low performance on a test) and would tell him that he has got really great memory and I can see that learning English comes easy for him, but because he often doesn �t do homework, some things especially grammar points just don �t get the chance to set up in his mind and then the result is his failed test or a mark that is not what he expected. I would say: I can see the great potential in you and that you could excel in English with just a small effort on your part, because things that are easy for you are not as easy for others and they work really hard to have what comes naturally for you.... That inspired him and sometimes the next time he would come to class boastfully telling me:"I did my homework for today" But it �s also true it �s hard for such students to be persistent...
Sophia

27 Jun 2011     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

I find if I threaten to phone the parents thats sufficient.
I have had to phone parents on a couple of occasions, usually they are not aware of any problem and are happy to be informed.

27 Jun 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

That is why here some schools are not giving homework anymore. They only give study.

I think Mariethe is giving you a good tip but I would not wait for 5 undone homework before contacting the parents. My patience would run out after 3 times.

27 Jun 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

What �s study vs. homework anyway? Could you explain, Manon, please?
Sophia

28 Jun 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi Sophia,

Homework means that the student has to hand in some kind of filled in/written activity the next class to the teacher.
Study is, for example, learning a list of vocabulary words, reading a text.

28 Jun 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

The thing is, where I come from written or oral assignments given to students to work on at home are called HOMEWORK and are despised anyways.Wink 
Sophia

28 Jun 2011     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I personnaly think that students have too much homework nowadays. Each teacher thinks about his subject and how to emprove it, but doesn �t think about the other subjects where the student gets also lots of homework. I know it �s necessary but perhaps it would be possible to give less homework. For instance once a week and not pages and pages. Students stay at school already 5 hours or more and than they come home and have to sit down and do more two or three hours of homework. I think you could give them books to read or even films or tV series to watch and you could discuss them in class. You could divede the class in small groups and they could elaborate questions about the book or the film.  You give the ones who participate extra points which can improve the final mark.

28 Jun 2011