Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Online dictionary of slang    

Online dictionary of slang

Tere-arg
Argentina

Online dictionary of slang

In case someone may be interested...

Urban Dictionary

19 Dec 2008      

alien boy
Japan

Thanks Tere-arg, it�s very interesting & useful.
B-)

19 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

I saw that the other day, is it any good? �An honest question as I�m at work and unfortunately it�s blocked :(

19 Dec 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

It works like Wikipedia so you have to be cautious and always check if in doubt.

It has been useful for me as I am in touch with native speakers  and more than once have to look up some word.

For instance, I did not know that Crimbo is the slang for Christmas.

19 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I�m a native speaker and also did not know that!  What country is it from Tere?

20 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Crimbo? Would it be �Chrimbo�? I say this because �crim� is usually short for �a criminal�.

One word of warning about the urban dictionary - the words are from contributors, so you will often find words here that are in very limited use or may be used only be a particular group (& I suspect teen or early twenties age group).
The veracity of the entries cannot be attested to!

Just check out the entry for �Bryce� - the only one that is known internationally (and I won�t admit to No 2... it would be too much self promotion) is No 3 because it is a particular design software.

I use this site to show students how people change their everyday language to suit their social environment rather than as a universal slang translator. I�m fairly conversant with a lot of different English dialect slangs due to having a very international family & lots of non Australian friends too.

Cheers,
B-)

20 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

One other thought...

I know �bimbo� - a stereotypical �dumb blonde�
himbo - the male version of a bimbo

Would this make a �crimbo� a very stupid crook?

or a �Chrimbo� a very stupid Christmas present?

20 Dec 2008     

kaz76
United Kingdom

We use crimbo in the UK and it is is spelt crimbo rather than chrimbo. 

21 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

PinchShockedoye oye oye, let up on the dumb blonde bit please.  Bimbo can include brunettes as well thank you very much! 

LOL - we blondes like to protect our reputation - no matter how tarnished it may be.  We do not like to be thrown in with a bunch of brunettes, no matter how blonde they are trying to act.....

21 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Thanks kaz! Is it from a particular area - London, Bristol, wherever ???? ?

21 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Also just look up any given city and you�ll find definitions - good and bad - about places. It�s really a weird thing... I use it to look up street slang since every so often you come across a new "word" and I say "word" lightly cause some of the stuff is just a real head shaker... like I looked up "chimbo" instead of "crimbo" (by accident)  and I almost choked at the definition!  Confused

23 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >