Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Odd one out    

Odd one out

mingoan248
Vietnam

Odd one out

Please help me.

Odd one out?
1. socks         gloves         tights          stockings
2. face           foot             head           neck

Please tell me why.
(it is from Headway Elementary)

19 Dec 2008      

tensilestrain
Singapore

I THINK no. 1 is gloves because it is the only thing on the hands.
The other three are on the legs.

No. 2 should be foot  because it is the only lower part of the body.
The others are the upper part of the body. 

19 Dec 2008     

alex1968
Greece

I agree

19 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Well, in a slightly more complicated version, you could say the following:

1. stockings is the odd one out because it has 2 syllables.

2. face is the odd one out because it ends with a sibilant sound whereas all the others end in stops.

Cheers,
B-)

19 Dec 2008     

Vanessa G L
Spain

There is not a right or wrong answer. the purpose is speaking. each student can give you a reason and as long as it makes sense, it is right.

19 Dec 2008     

fareelsa
France

1 should be stockings because you don�t actually wear them...
As for 2: I don�t knos, maybe foot because it�s not over the shoulders???

Have a nice Christmas holiday.

19 Dec 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

But fareelsa you DO wear stockings, they sometimes are called tights or nylons they are usually worn over  the legs some are held by suspenders and some go right up to the waist underneath your clothing. Children and adult females can wear them. They can be made out of diffferent materials and different thicknesses too. From see through to thick dark woolly ones. :-)
Not to be confused with the xmas stockings we hang up :-)

19 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Stockings can also be worn over your head - stereotypical bank robber style!!! (maybe it�s an Aussie thing...)

1. it could be gloves because it is the only word that doesn�t have a redundant consonant(s) when you sound it (socks, tights, stockings)

2. face - it is the only one of the four that is one �surface� of a another piece of the body (e,g, a face is on the head, a sole is on the foot)

just another thought.

I think Vanessa has the right idea - the main thing is to get them to practice and explain why they gave the particular answer!

However, that is maybe a little idealised. Where I work I could not use that justification to give full marks for an exam question. The answer would be right or wrong & nothing in between... the system here (generally) is not geared to develop critical analysis in language use at the student level that I teach.

Cheers,
B-)

19 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I love this game. 
I put kids in teams - first answer gets one point, second (different answer) gets 2 points, and if they can come up with a third justification it gets 3 points.

Teenagers love it - so do adults actually.  It took awhile to convince my students here that any justified answer is acceptable.  There is never only one answer in life, perspective can always change the answer.

19 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

You mean you want me to come up with a third, different one? I think I can hear my bed calling.... or was that a (polar) bear?

19 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

OK...

1. gloves - its the only word that doesn�t end in at least 3 consonants.
2. neck - it is the only word that ends with 2 consonants rather than a consonant & vowel combination.

Whew... do I get that extra mark now vickiii?

19 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >