Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Give way    

Give way

abba
Spain

Give way

Hi, from scorching Barcelona. I have a question. Imagine the situation, a very narrow pavement, you are walking and an old woman is coming, you want to stop and you want your partner to stop and let the woman keep on walking. Would you say: Give way to her! or give way is restricted to cars and traffic signs.

Thanks.

2 Jul 2011      

lalla99
Romania

Well it doesn �t sound right, I have to say, to give way in this context (although the dictionary definition doesn �t make that clear). I would let the woman go by. If you were in a car, for example, and she was walking and crossing the road you would let her go on.

But if you are in a car, you would give way to other traffic like you said e.g at the upside-down red triangle.

Caroline

2 Jul 2011     

dturner
Canada

I might say, "Let her pass."  or "Let her go (pass) in front of us."  Give way is odd.  Sounds like like a ship giving way.  

3 Jul 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

In my humble opinion I think that the expression "give way" for people is beginning to creep into colloquial English.

3 Jul 2011     

abba
Spain

Thanks a lot for your kind help :))

3 Jul 2011