Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > order of adjective    

order of adjective

nhatminh0904
Vietnam

order of adjective

please tell me
we use: "a tall handsome man" or "a handsome tall man"?
In my opinion, "handsome" is an "opinion" adjective should go before "tall" that is a "size" adjective.But i see in dictionary" a tall handsome man?
Thanks in advance. 

6 Jul 2011      

aidamour
Tunisia

we say a tall hadsome man

6 Jul 2011     

suhakhader
Jordan

Hi, nhatminh0904

I agree with you!

I think that we should say: A handsome, tall man. Why? Because, of the adjectives order as the following:

1- adjective(opinion)- age- size- colour- material + noun

Let�s see others� opinions. Have a look at this website

Hope that helps.

Have a nice day:)

6 Jul 2011     

Zora
Canada

Honestly, to me "a tall, handsome man" sounds more natural than "a handsome, tall man". Sometimes, rules are just made to be broken - especially in English.

6 Jul 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

To top that, Linda, I never really understood why "handsome" is considered to be an opinion adjective and not factualWink
Sophia

6 Jul 2011     

daniellemotta
Brazil

AS FAR AS I KNOW, IT �S A HANDSOME TALL MAN SINCE HANDSOME IS CONSIDERED OPINION AND IS A BROADER CONCEPT.

7 Jul 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

I �m with Zora on this one. Sophia �s point has merit too: beauty is supposedly in the eye of the beholder, but aren �t there a bunch of unwritten (objective) rules to determine if someone is beautiful? If so, handsome is not necessarily an opinion, hence a tall, handsome man.

On the other hand, it could be just an exception to the rule, as so often happens in English. Usage confirms this: http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=%22a+tall%2C+handsome+man%22&word2=%22a+handsome%2C+tall+man%22

7 Jul 2011