Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > everyday english - business english workshop    

everyday english - business english workshop

wende
Spain

everyday english - business english workshop

Hi! I am currently designing a four-session workshop for young adults (18-30). The topic is business english, but in such an elementary level that I will be mainly teaching everyday English applied to business environements, such as answering phone calls, giving directions to customers and so on. One of the strong points that I want to add is the "common mistakes", such as confusing "a little/a few", "degree/career" or not being able to say dates or telephone numbers. I was wondering if you could help me with these common mistakes in elementary level, words that students confuse that have to do with "business" English (situations like dealing with customers in a shop or at a restaurant, answering a few questions in English in a job interview...). Can you come up with any?

Thanks in advance

7 Jul 2011      

colibrita
United Kingdom

You could review "Make v do". Although using the wrong one isn �t an important barrier to communication using them correctly gives Ss confidence.

Make an appointment
Make a (phone) call
Make a profit
make an effort
make a good impression (on sb)
make a mess
make a promise
make a start
make sure
make a suggestion
make progress
make sb sad/happy etc
make a decision
make a plan
make a mistake
etc

do the accounts
do your best
do business with sb
do sb a favour
do overtime
do well, badly
do without stg
do work for sb
etc

HTH!

Hugs from Barcelona
Colibrita

7 Jul 2011     

wende
Spain

thank you! that �s certainly a coomon mistake

7 Jul 2011     

Mietz
Germany

Have you got the alphabet on your plan for spelling e-mails, order numbers etc.? There �s so much potential for common mistakes in there...

7 Jul 2011