Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > WOD Winner for Thursday 7 July    

WOD Winner for Thursday 7 July

douglas
United States

WOD Winner for Thursday 7 July

Good Morning (in Europe)!
 I enjoyed all of your fun feline definitions.  We  had a poor forgotten Prince Charming, a cat with an alien encounter, a couple that couldn �t stop looking at themselves in the mirror, and a "divine" cat that used the mirror for divination (actually a correct defintion), but the definition that haunted me throughout the day was Marions � (Apodo).  Through out my day I kept picturing this cat rubbing against my legs looking up with "love" in its eyes.

Congratulations Apodo!

The real definition of catoptromancy (it has nothing to do with cats actually) is:

Divination by means of mirrors.

�Mirror, mirror, on the wall. Who is the fairest of them all?� At some time or other, almost anything you can think of has been used to foretell the future, from straws on a red-hot iron to disembowelled chickens. But the mirror, that most strange thing that allows not only reflection but self-reflection, has always been special. As a result there are many superstitions about mirrors � such that they must be covered or removed after a death to prevent the soul of the dead person from being stolen. In part it also explains why it is considered bad luck to break one (until modern times, they were also rare, so breaking one really was bad luck). There are records from many ancient civilisations of mirrors being used for magic, and some not so ancient: John Dee, the sixteenth-century English magician of the royal court, had a mirror made of a highly polished piece of coal. Fortune-tellers and magicians would use such stones, or perhaps polished metal mirrors or reflections in bowls of water to answer questions or predict the future. The word comes from the Greek word katoptron for a mirror, plus manteia, divination. The same root appears in catoptrics, the part of optics that deals with reflection.

Cheers,
Douglas

8 Jul 2011      

Zora
Canada

LOL - that �s so funny! Honestly, I didn �t know what the word meant... I only knew that a lot of the "dark arts" tend to end in "mancy".

Congrats to the winner. Smile

8 Jul 2011