Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can you recommend me a good restaurant?    

Can you recommend me a good restaurant?

libertybelle
United States

What �s correct in the old grammar books and what is used daily are two different things.

If it �s not grammatically incorrect - I would go with the flow and use what young native speakers use. That way, your students won �t sound like a walking grammar book from the last century.

Most young kids want to sound "young" - so I �d go with that.
If someone asked me "Can you recommend me a good hotel" - I would probably think they were foreign.

I still think:
Can you recommend a good hotel? is what is most widely used today.

Good luck
L

9 Jul 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@ Libertybelle: True, but if you train your students for a test or practice academic writing or in order to eventually get a specific job, I don �t think speaking slang would get them far in those dimensions. BTW the grammar book doesn �t have to be old anyway. Smile And conversational doesn �t have to be incorrect or slang.
Sophia

9 Jul 2011     

blunderbuster
Germany

Isn �t the same true for "Can you explain me....."

Personally, I never use it, but I hear it quite often.

9 Jul 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

I think I �d have to correct that one, blunderbuster. Mind you, I used to correct "write me" until an American colleague explained that it �s considered correct over the pond. I �m pretty sure "can you explain me ..." isn �t right, though ("can you explain to me" is the only way I can see that). If only there was a rule for all this!

9 Jul 2011     

Jayho
Australia

You have raised an interesting discussion Spinney.

To me, it sounds grammatically incorrect but I too can not explain why.  In fact, I googled Can you recommend me a good restaurant only to find that this usage is quite common.

However, when I put ESL in front of it I found a little gem here  that you can show your student. It explains it very nicely.

Cheers

Jayho

10 Jul 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

I agree with Jayho. If a student uses "Can you recommend me a good restaurant" my inner grammar self screams "no, don �t do it". So I also would probably leave the �me � out completely, after all it is understood.
On the other hand if you were asking about a third person then the correct usuage must apply. "Can you recommend a good restaurant to / for Alice?" Oops I �m opening another can of worms there!
Cheers Joy

10 Jul 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

It is indeed a very large can of worms. I �ve just been trawling through my girlfriend �s copy of "Cambridge Grammar of English" (2005, things could well have changed in it already!) and found many entries and info on the subject but not what I was looking for (with indirect object followed by direct object etc). And then I come back to this page and see that Jayho has done what I should have done in the first place - googled it! It confirms what I thought. Grammatically correct or not, natives make this kind of mistake which is why it sounds OK to me. In fact, the whole thing is giving me some ideas for a sort of "direct/indirect" worksheet with a list of dos and donts and exercises. I �ll see if I can find the time to get it done before this time next week.  Lets hope I get the rules right myself!

10 Jul 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Sorry, Jayho, but your �little gem � is a poor simulant. He/she states categorically that you should "never use an object pronoun after recommended" but quite blithely goes on to advise the pattern "Subject + recommended + object + to + pronoun". Someone recommended the Metropolitan Museum. I �d recommend it too. It �s fairly obvious that your rhinestone cowboy doesn �t know or care what an object pronoun is, but feels eminently qualified to pontificate about it. If this person came to you looking for a reference for a teaching job, would you recommend her/him?

10 Jul 2011     

htunde
Hungary

this may help

10 Jul 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thanks for that, htunde! The reply on the second link to the post on the forum had me rolling around on the floor for a few minutes there. Brilliant!

10 Jul 2011     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >