Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help Please!    

Help Please!

sirhaj
Malaysia

Help Please!

I have 3 questions:

1. Is it correct to write "on the next day, on the following days," for example, "on the next day, they went to the town", or the correct phrase is "the next day" etc without the word "on". " The next day, they went to the town".

2. can I simplify "Automobile repair shop" to "mechanic shop" because the former seems to be too formal and I am writing for children in general. If it cannot be done in that way, is there any other term that could substitute the term.

3. Which one is correct? we have not "raised" enough money to buy the engine or we have not "collected" enough money to buy the engine.

I know these are simple but I am quite confused and I need clarifications.

Please help me,
Sirhajwan

10 Jul 2011      

maceman
Canada

Good morning Sirhajwan

For your first question - it is my experience to hear/see both: "The next day they went to town" or "On the next day, they went to town." I probably hear/see the sentence without the preposition, on, more frequently though.
2. In North America you would probably see the shortened version "Auto Repair Shop" on signs ro advertisements or hear "I am getting my car repaired at my mechanics.(the word shop would be inferred.)
3. Raised is quite often used in initiatives to gain money for a cause. "The charity drive raised $10,000 for cancer research." Collected is more the action of actually having people/students give money. "We collected the money from the students for the bus trip to Toronto."

I hope this helps.

Have a great day!

10 Jul 2011     

sirhaj
Malaysia

It definitely helps, thanks a lot Maceman.

Have a great day to you too.

10 Jul 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

for your second question I would say:  �garage �

Garage may refer to: Vehicles. Automobile repair shop, where vehicles are serviced and repaired.  (from Wikipedia)

for the third question;
�Raised� usually means you got the money from people other than the beneficiaries (as was said before, in case of charities or fund raisers. Collected would be from the people who pay for them selve. All the people using the car are supposed to pay a certain amount buy we didn�t collect all of it yet (some of them didn�t pay or didn�t pay all yet.)

10 Jul 2011