Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Visiting London    

Visiting London

catiahenriques
Portugal

Visiting London

Hi. I �m going to visit London but I �m a little bit lost.
I �m going to spend 4 days. I �m having some difficulties on making an itinerary  for each day.
 For eg If I go to see Big Ben what what is close of it? And Madame Tussaud �s?
I only need a list: Big Ben, London eye, ...

Where can I catch the turist bus? How much is it?
How do the underground tickets work? How much is it?
Where can I eat in a cheap way?

Can you help me?
Thanks
C�tia

12 Jul 2011      

serene
Greece

Hi Catia, here are a few links that might help you with your planning.

http://www.myenglandtravel.com/londonitineraries.html
http://golondon.about.com/od/planningyourtrip/a/oneweekplan.htm
http://www.londontopic.co.uk/attractions/index.htm
http://www.londontourist.org/itinerary.html
http://traveldk.com/london/category/itineraries

Enjoy your stay in London!

13 Jul 2011     

Zora
Canada

When I was in London, I stayed close to Victoria Station and it was the best place to be. You have buses, trains, the tube, tour buses, etc right there at the station. Also, Buckingham Palace is nearby.

Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament, London Eye are right near each other. I took a tour bus and it dropped us off there and we saw the four things all at once. You can even go on a boat ride too from there.

I don �t remember what the bus ticket was .. but it didn �t seem overly expensive the day that we took it. Oh, a lot of the museums are close together, The Victoria and Albert is near the Museum of Natural History and the Science Museum - which are not far either from Harrods.

Anyways, I hope that helps you somewhat. 

13 Jul 2011     

anaisabel001
Spain

Hi Catia,
These links may help you.

http://www.timeout.com/london/

http://golondon.about.com/od/thingstodoinlondon/tp/free_London.htm

http://www.offtolondon.com/where_to_stay.html

Have a safe and nice trip!

13 Jul 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Check your personal messages - but while I �m here I �d like to add -
I go to London every year with 22 9th graders for a week.
(Lots of fun and hard work!)
Some general information:
Buy a Travel Card (all zones) from your travel agency. It works on the buses and the Tube. It �s cheaper and you don �t have to wait in line for tickets.

The Hop on Hop Off buses have stops all over London. You can catch it at Hyde Park by Speakers Corner - it �s a great way to see London and get a feel for the city.

Madame Tussaud is not worth the entrance price. It gets more expensive each year and there is less and less to see.  My students ran through it in a � hour. Not worth the price.

The London Eye is fantastic to also get a feel for the city.

The London Walks
are fabulous. Each night a guide waits outside a Tube Station. You can find the routes on the internet - search for The Original London Walks.  Many of the guides are actors who really know about London and are totally entertaining and knowledgeable.

If you need to save money - -Bayswater, a very colorful part of town has some of the cheapest hotel rates, but don �t expect the Ritz.  You �re only going to sleep there!

No one makes musicals like the British. If you don �t see a musical, you �re missing out on a great experience.  There is a half price ticket booth in Leicester Square and others close by.

Walk along the Thames.

Check the internet for small church concerts. St. martins in the field has Candlelight concerts - all fees go to charity.

Sail to Greenwich - a great artist town and take a walk in Greenwich Park.

Camden Town is such a trip - lots of fun and lots of fun shops and things to do. You can see the Camden Locks and pram boats there!

There is a small cafe under ST. Martins in the Fields church - it �s an old catacomb and the floor is tombstones!

National Gallery is free and fantastic - so it the British museum

Portobello road on Saturdays is also fun.

No problem with cheap eating - there are places everywhere. You can literally eat your way through London.
You can find many small cafes between Leicester square and Convent Garden.

If you have a smart phone - you can download many free aps about London, eating, venues and the Tube!

The best way, in my opinion  - is to see London by foot!  Get a map - and start walking.
Good luck
L

13 Jul 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

I �m in London right now :-)

First when you get off the plane before you get on the tube is to buy an OYSTER CARD from the tube station. It �s a card that you put money on to use to travel on buses, the tube, trains etc.
Without it one single journey can cost �4, with it one single journey in zone 1 costs �1.90 So a huge difference.

As for eating, well it �s almost limitless here, there is something for every budget and taste. You will see what �s around when you are walking around. China town has lunch specials like �5 buffet all you can eat, type of thing. Coffee and cake tends to be expensive.
There is a place by Tottenham court road tube station (you walk towards Holborn on New Oxford Street) that has al you can eat for �3.50 (I �m checking it out tomorrow as I passed it yesterday and it looked good!)

If you see BOOTS, they are a pharmacy BUT they have meal deals for lunch which is like a sandwich or salad or wrap+cookie, chips or cake+ drink for around �4 or something like that. A lot cheaper than buying from a sandwich place and usually a good selection.

If you are wanting to see a show, head into Leicester square, there are discounted ticket booths there that sell tickets for all the big shows. If you are not fussy about the time of day etc then you can get amazing deals.

Things in the city are relatively close together so if you are able, walking is far better than taking the tube for short stops.
At the moment everywhere is having massive sales.
I am sending back to Sweden 2 massive boxes of 20kg each worth of things like bedding, towels, food, appliances etc as with the sales and shipping it is still way cheaper than what I can buy where I live.
I have used www.parcel2go.com for one box of 20kg  45.7cmx45.7cmx55cm =�26+vat

Have an awesome time!

13 Jul 2011     

libertybelle
United States

One more thing..............
London is the friendliest town - everyone helps, there are signs everywhere and maps too.
Check "inside what Cheezel and I wrote- that should help get you started!
L

13 Jul 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

haha Libertybell... I have definitely been eating my way through London... Had the most awesome fish and chips last night from a place close to me in Bloomsbury...
Also had the "Codfather" last week, where the fish was as huge as my lower arm... not to mention the chinese, the steak pies and kebabs so delicious I am seriously going to be shedding a tear when I have to leave!

Not to mention the Crabbies ginger beer...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Wanted to add to Libertybell�s post:

-The London eye is worth the money.
-Convent Garden on a weekend- there is a market which has lots of nice handcrafts etc. (I bought a nice scarf, wallet and glass window hanging thing on Sunday)- Turn right as you come out of the station and walk down- ask someone if you cant find it.

Never leave your bag between your feet or beside you while eating, especially in central London. (I know personally 2 Italians who had bags taken right from under their noses with their money, passports etc).

There is a new super mega shopping complex at Shepherds bush/ white city from top brands to high street brands etc. It is so huge that surrounding areas that used to have busy shopping centres have had lots of shops close!

13 Jul 2011