Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > flash cards    

flash cards

Dana Dana
United Kingdom

flash cards

Dear members,
I just wanted to ask you about something, is a set of flash cards supposed to have words? when we buy flashcards they mostly don �t have words, also if the pictures are clear we sometimes use them to check the students � understanding, not their reading skills. Am I right?

15 Jul 2011      

Sonn
Russian Federation

According to the rules of the site flashcards are to have words otherwise they will be deleted.

15 Jul 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Generally speaking they can be with or without words and as you know can be used in a variety of ways:) But here we upload flashcards with words otherwise they will be just a set of cliparts.
Some tips.
Sophia
P. S. I just checked the rules and it is not specified if the flashcards should contain text. It only says that they should be at least four flashcards set.

15 Jul 2011     

Sonn
Russian Federation

Dana, I think you �d better add the words to your flashcards right now because members may report them as uploading the FCs without words is against the rules of the site.

15 Jul 2011     

Dana Dana
United Kingdom

As Ueslteacher said I checked all the rules and I can see that no rules say that flash cards should have words, so why would a member report my flash cards then? also I �ve seen so many flash cards sets without words and they weren �t removed as we can differentiate between a member who just puts some clip art and someone who gets related pictures and organizes them in a way that help us laminate them and use them right away as flash cards.   

15 Jul 2011     

douglas
United States

Technically*, flashcards without words are allowed as long as it is a batch of cards (not just one).  However, experience tells me that flashcards without words almost always get reported as "just clip art" and are removed.

My advice is to NOT upload flashcards without words.

*I can �t find anything in the rules that states that flashcards must have words. 

Douglas

15 Jul 2011     

Sonn
Russian Federation

The rules say "Your contributions must be 100% in English language." Is a flashcard without words and without any task 100 % in English?  There was such a rule where it was stated that FCs are to have words and Victor wrote about it on the forum. I don �t know why it isn �t stated now because lots of wss were removed because of it including mine. A flashcard without a word is just clipart. At least here.

This is how a set of flashcards must be according to the rules (a picture and a word):

This is allowed because it is an ESL task (read and learn vocabulary)

Cliparts and coloring pages are not allowed.

http://www.eslprintables.com/rulesofthewebsite.htm

15 Jul 2011     

mena22
Portugal

Hi Dana! The only rule about flashcards is that there must be at least 4 of them in a single document. Look at what we have on the reported contributions page:

This should be removed unless it is part of a set of flashcards.

No words needed!

Have a nice day.
mena

15 Jul 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Dana

As far as I know, this is the rule:

Single flashcards (a document with a single picture) are not allowed. There must be at least four flashcards in the same document for it to be considered a flashcard set and be accepted. In the past we had many flashcards uploaded separately, and they will not be removed, but it is not allowed anymore.

No one has ever discussed what a flashcard is or should be - with or without words; we can have them both ways, depends on what we want to do with them.

Happy Friday

Linda

15 Jul 2011     

s.lefevre
Brazil

We also have this one
This is not allowed and there are 6. I know there are no rules about not putting words. But what is the difference between just clipart and 4 cliparts called flashcards. This matter has come up so many times. It would be nice if Victor could say the last word.

15 Jul 2011     

aidamour
Tunisia

dear fiends i couldn �t send 4 flashcards because they are more than 500 KB i make them smaller but no success i didn �t know how di I do i like these pictures i want that all the members show and use them.
please do not say to me to compress them because t did them many times but.......

15 Jul 2011