Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A or An    

A or An

Imdad
Bangladesh

A or An

Today when i was going through a Grammar hand note, i found a difficulty in Article . . . That is . . . . "A owl" it was written there. But Which is the correct one - "A OWL" or "AN OWL" ? Please help immediately . . . Thanks in advance.

15 Jul 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

An owl... owl begins with a vowel. An apple, an orange, an igloo, an article, etc.

15 Jul 2011     

Imdad
Bangladesh

That �s what i was thinking about the word. And i found it wrong in that note but Corrected the mistake. But i was confused whether i was right or wrong. Now i �m clear of this. Thanks a lot for this quick answer.. Now please give me some words which begin with Vowels but take "A" before them, or some words which begin with Consonents but take "an" before them, Will you kindly ?

15 Jul 2011     

Imdad
Bangladesh

Sorry, i should have made it clear to you. I meant those words which start with vowels or consonents, but remain out of pronounciation, in written spelling like- heir, hour, honour, euphemism, ewe, uniform, or the like. I need to know some other words like these. . . Is it clear?

15 Jul 2011     

arkel
Ireland

Some words beginning with vowels do take �a � before them, it depends on the pronunciation of the vowel. eg. A European, a unicorn, a eulogy, a uniform, a university etc. You will see that here the first sound is like the letter �u �. Yet, we would say aN upstairs bedroom because of the pronuciation of the �u � in �upstairs �. As for words beginning with consonants that take �an � before them I can only think of the silent �h �. An hour for example. Hope this helps:) Rosemary

15 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Thank you for the clarification arkel. My brain isn�t always working.

15 Jul 2011     

libertybelle
United States

My rule says:

an before a vowel sound 
A before a consonant sound

It �s all about the sound because the expceptions such a hour can be deceiving.

15 Jul 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Thanks arkel

that �s what we may say ... follow the rules... thanks a bunchHug

linda

15 Jul 2011