Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > please help    

please help

mahaenglish
Egypt

please help

I want to explain the present simple to my classes they are in grade2 in a funny way to attract their attention who can tell me about any new technique to explain the lesson using it.Thanks :)

16 Jul 2011      

ALI ALI
Egypt

HELLO MAHA,
I USED TO DRAW A COOKING POT AND TELL THE CHILDREN THAT TODAY WE WILL COOK THE PRESENT SIMPLE,
THE MAIN INGREDIENTS ARE THE SUBJECT, THE VERB AND THE OBJECT. THEN I PUT CAPTIONS WITH THE MAIN INGREDIENTS ON PICTURES OF VEGETABLES AND MEAT. I THEN TELL THE SS. THAT THERE IS AN EXTRA FLAVOUR THAT WE ADD WHEN THE MAIN INGREDIENT IS MEAT(HE, SHE IT), BUT WHEN THE MAIN INGREDIENT IS  CHICKEN (THEY WE, YOU, I) WE DON �T ADD (PEPPER)=(S)
SO WHAT YOU NEED IS:
A BIG PICTURE OF A COOKING POT
THREE FLASH CARDS WITH PICTURE OF MEAT WITH (HE , SHE , IT )ON THEM
FOUR FLASH CARDS WITH (THEY, WE, YOU)ON THEM
A PICTURE OF PEPPER CONTAINER WITH THE LETTER (S) ON IT.

16 Jul 2011     

mahaenglish
Egypt

Thanks for the nice idea.Friends if u have more ideas tell us please

16 Jul 2011     

Sara26
Brazil

I like to start with flashcards and the sts likes & dislikes: I like ... I don �t  like ...
Or personal belongings: I have a pen. I don �t have a ruler...
Or family members: I have a brother. I don �t have a sister ...
Or pets ...

For more ideas:

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=18246

Good luck! Thumbs Up

16 Jul 2011     

Dana Dana
United Kingdom

SARA WE ALL START THE LESSON BY SPEAKING AND FLASH CARDS BUT SOON WE COME TO THE FORMAL PART OF TEACHING THE RULE ITSELF. THE IDEA OF THE PRESENT SIMPLE SOUP LOOKS LIKE FUN.BRAVO ALIClap

16 Jul 2011     

sandytita
Portugal

Dear Ali,
Lovely and interesting idea. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers.
Sandy

16 Jul 2011     

Natashenka
Ukraine

To my mind, our ss always want to know us as personalities, to learn smth new about us. So while introducing the present simple I usually bring my "diary" or some photographs and tell them in what way I generally spend my free time or holidays. Then we compare our activities (thus, practising the use of pronouns I, you, we + verbs). I also show them two pictures of Mr Workaholic and Mr Lazybone and describe their routines. Then we compare their actions (e.g. both of them drink coffee in the morning, but Mr Workaholic does it at 6 o �clock because he gets up early and Mr Lazybone - at 10 o �clock because he likes to sleep longer). In this case we practise the 3d person sing. and plural accordingly. We also try to find "the golden middle" - the best way of life. Then we pass on rules and schemes. Good luck!    

16 Jul 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

I teach present simple to  my 4th-graders (9 yrs) without really naming it, just using "I like", " She likes" and the negatives and carrying out a short survey (either on toys, food, nimals, whatever) about which they report later.

In the fifth grade we add other verbs like "play" and "collect" and others.

We sometimes play a game called SAM (because Sam can be a name for a boy or for a girl).

Each of the children has a piece of paper with something they collect (it doesn �t have to be true). And then, for instance, the child with "stickers" on the paper says: 

"I collect stickers and Sam collects bages."

That �s the cue for the child with "badges". He or she must reply: 

"I collect badges and Sam collects pens." and so on and so on.

The children have to listen to each other because if somene forgets about the -s or perhaps says "I collects", then their name is written on the blackboard. When he or she does it for the third time, they get a task. The student must, for instance, tell us five things about  her or hs family.

Later on we omit Sam and introduce "he" or "she" which, of course, they know before they play the game, I just don �t want them to think about three things at the same time. 

And you can use "play" or "like" instead of "collect" and you can make the sentences negative if you like.

I know it �s not much, I hope it helps you a bit sometimes.  I prefer to avoid grammatical terms, especially with young children. There �s enough time for naming tenses later, in the upper grades. 

16 Jul 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Hi Minka, I love your idea of the third person - "unisex" Sam.
You may also try:
 Jo, Pat, Terry, Mike, Max, Andy, Val, Chris, Ali, Alex, Sandy, Alec, Charlie, Lee, Jessie, Jackie, Jamie, Jan, Connie, Danny, Ricky, Ray, Frankie, Ash, Kelly, Dominique, Les(lie), Morgan, Ryan, Casey, Will, Leigh.
Thumbs Up 

Dear Maha,
Try flashcards, memory game, miming game + frequency adverbs (I OFTEN watch TV. I NEVER eat apples. ...)
One student mimes an activity, others guess. - Do you cook? Do you read? Do you watch TV? - Yes, I watch TV.
Round two - students try to guess how often s/he does that. - Always? - Seldom? - Never? -Often? -Yes, I often watch TV.
One student is a reporter and writes the sentences on the the blackboard - "Alex often watches TV."

16 Jul 2011     

cacucacu
Argentina

Dear Maha, I usually use well known cartoon characters because thy usually follow a routine. Kids love them and they grasp the idea of routines and repeated actions quickly! I �ve designed some very nice readings where them main characters are tv cartoons. If you want I could e-mail them to you or if yyou have points enough you can download them yourself. 
Love,
Naty

17 Jul 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

Thanks Moravc! Yes, I know there are many names like that. Yers ago I designed a "Find someone" activity by which the students had to find the right person by asking questions about their names, ages, parents, hobbies etc. I only used names like that which made it much less complicated for me (I didn �t have to be careful whether I give a piece of paper to a boy or a girl) but a bit more difficult for the children - they didn �t know whether they were looking for a boy or a girl.

I like the idea of flashcards for present simple (or pretty much for anything) and the memory game. But isn �t a miming game more suitable for present continuous since the one miming is doing something at the moment of guessing?

17 Jul 2011     

1    2    Next >