Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Contractions for "are" with WH question words and nouns.    

Contractions for "are" with WH question words and nouns.

Thalia Gralik
Brazil

Contractions for "are" with WH question words and nouns.

Please, I �d like to know the correct usage of the contractions with WH words and nouns. Is it correct  to use: What �re...? / Who �re...? / How �re...? / etc...
And if my name �s Thalia (is correct)... Is it correct to use: My favorite subjects �re English and Portuguese.
What are the grammar rules for this issue?  
Thanks a lot for your help.

16 Jul 2011      

bomberito
Perú

dear thalia, well  i think it isnt correct to use contractions with are and wh - questions. what are....) who are..? etc, but u can use what �s ... (what is...?) who �s ...(who is)?. and you are right when u say " my name �s thalia. (it is correct). but my favorite subjects are English and ..... is much better than my favorite subjects �re. i think it isnt correct.

16 Jul 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Thalia,

If you send me a Private Message with your e-mail, I �ll send you a Worksheet explaining Contractions.

Les

17 Jul 2011     

yanogator
United States

Thalia,
Contractions with "   �re   " are used in spoken English, but are not commonly used in written English, except when recording dialogue. This true in US usage, at least. I don �t know about British practices in this area.

Bruce

17 Jul 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

I �m with Bruce on this (spoken rather than written) although according to the Macmillan book on Email English it �s standard (neutral?) in emails. I shouldn �t think they �d be a difference in Brit and American English in this instance. No doubt someone will pop up to say that isn �t so.

17 Jul 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Thalia,
In answer to your question about Contractions in English.

"Who �re", "What �re"; "Why �re"; Where �re"; "When �re"; Which �re"; "How �re"; are all used in conversation in the UK.  They are also used in informal writing. 

"My favourite subjects �re English and Portuguese", is pefectly acceptable to me, in spoken English, and in informal writing.

"My name �s Thalia/Maria/Les/etc". is used daily in speech and is frequently seen in informal writing.

I quote "A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language" page 26, by Professor Quirk and 4 other English Professors.

"Contractions such as "didn �t" are appropriate in both informal and *neutral English; they are excluded from formal English".

*"Neutral English", is "normal English", midway between "informal" and "formal".

I quote "An A - Z of English Grammar and Usage", page 101, by Geoffrey Leech, Benita Cruikshank and Roz Ivanič

"Contractions are used in speech and informal writing.  Do not use them in formal writing, for example, business letters".

I quote "Practical English Usage", page 132, by Michael Swann of Oxford University Press.

"Contractions are common and correct in informal writing: they represent the pronunciation of informal speech.  They are not generally used in formal style".

A Private Note; Personal Letter; Scribbled Instructions; Diary; Shopping List; Novel; Book of Fiction; Written Conversation; Comic Writing; Personal E-Mail; Light-Hearted Essay; Popular Newspaper; Popular Magazine; are all examples of Informal Writing.

A Business Letter; Thesis; College/University Assignment; Essay on a Serious Subject; Serious Newspaper; Technical Magazine; Scientific Paper; Formal Written Debate; Non-Fiction Book; Official Proclamation; Notice; Written Record of Court Proceedings; Minutes of a Meeting; Business E-Mail; Job Application; Curriculum Vitae; are all examples of Formal Writing. 

If you are in doubt, treat the subject as Formal, then you won�t cause offence.

I hope that this helps you.

Les

17 Jul 2011