Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching English in Europe    

Teaching English in Europe

Kohaku
Japan

Teaching English in Europe

Hey all! I have a quick question for you teachers living and working in Europe. I have a friend which is a Native Speaker in English. She recently graduated from a University and would like to work in a European country.

What are the rules to getting a job there as a Native Teacher?
What type of opportunities are available?

Usually in Japan a Native Teacher needs at least a University Degree to work here. The job is generally low in pay and relaxing for someone interested in seeing a new country, while working. They usually qualify as a teaching assistant of some sort.

Other requirements here in Japan are a TESOL certification. That helps for more competitive jobs.

So in other words, what advice can I give to my friend from your perspective? Is the system in your country different from that of Japan?

17 Jul 2011      

cheezels
New Zealand

I think for most if not all EU countries require that you are eligible for a work visa before anything else.
Different countries have different rules.

Then once you have your work visa or any other type of permit which allows you to live and work in the country, you can find out what it required.

If your friend is aged under  28-30 many EU countries have visa schemes where you can come and live and work for a year. This is worth checking out.
Generally trying to get a visa for the UK now is really tough. I lived and worked there for 8 years and now do not qualify for a work visa there. (Fortunately for me I now have a Swedish passport!)
In Sweden you would have to have a firm job offer, that there were no other suitable candidates and it would have to have a minimum salary to even get a work permit here.

Every country will have its own rules so you need to tell your friend to check out the immigration websites for each country to check out the visas available.
Then once she has a country that she knows she will be able to apply for a visa, she will be able to further investigate what the job opportunities are. That would seem to be the most sensible route, rather than hoping someone will hire her and go through all the associated costs of hiring someone from outside the EU.
Happy hunting

17 Jul 2011     

Kohaku
Japan

Thanks so much for the advice. I will pass it along to her. I figured the rules would be a little different. I told her that many other countries are more strict than Japan.

18 Jul 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

There are diferent pogrammes of mobility within the EU, like teacher mobility within Comeius and others. I believe, though, the person applying shpuld be a teacher.

I think most public schools would require a teaching degree, I �m not sure about private language schools.

A teaching degree does not guarantee high quality teaching, but only being a native speaker even less so. My opinion. 

18 Jul 2011