Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > NEED HELP!    

NEED HELP!

savvinka
Russian Federation

NEED HELP!

..... Did Sir John Gielgud say that the carrier of an actor depends much on

the luck of the draw? - this sentence is from my new ws about John Guilgud, a              famous British actor. My doubt is depends or depended ? 

Thank you for yr help.

18 Jul 2011      

class centre
Belarus

Did he say that the earth IS round?
The same case

18 Jul 2011     

savvinka
Russian Federation

Thank you, Natasha!
I was mislead a bit because there were two verbs : say and depend. Silly I am!

18 Jul 2011     

yanogator
United States

Yes, even in reported speech, if the statement is about a general truth (something that continues into the future), we usually use the simple present. This is very common.

She said that she likes to cook.

He told her he wanted to marry her. (This reports what he said at the time - "I want to marry you".)
He told her he wants to marry her. (This reports the continuation of the desire, not just his desire at the time he said it).

Oh, and I �m sure Sir John said "career" and not "carrier". Just a typo, I �m sure.

Bruce

18 Jul 2011     

savvinka
Russian Federation

Thank you, Bruce for not being indifferent about my question. Yr explanations are always very useful. Sir John �s career was written inorrectly/ I made the mistake through lack of attention.
Olga

18 Jul 2011