Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Super-premium end     

Super-premium end

suyunruyasi
Turkey

Super-premium end

Hi everybody ,

I am teaching ESP to a group of university students and in a reading passage there was an expression "super premium end of the market" and I could not figure it out what super-premium end means:( I googled it but I could not find.

Can anybody explain it to me ?

Thank in advance ... 

18 Jul 2011      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

could you please give some more context , say a full sentence? It looks like an adjectival phrase... Maybe you could rephrase it as "the super-premium part of the market"?
Sophia

18 Jul 2011     

yanogator
United States

This is a note to everyone who asks for an explanation. Usually we can answer you better if you give us at least a complete sentence to look at, as Sophia pointed out.

It looks to me like it is saying "the most expensive end of the market", "the highest-priced goods or services". "super-premium" might be referring to the most expensive grade of gasoline as a reference, not to bring gasoline into the sentence you are having trouble with. That is where the expression comes from.

Bruce

18 Jul 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

It could be confusing as I think you have grouped the wrong words together.
Super premuim: very high end, exclusive, expensive etc

End of the market: Targeted consumers. People who are doing the buying.

Example:
Very cheap stores cater for the lower end of the market.
Rolex luxury watches cater for the higher end of the market.

Maybe there are better descriptions than these, but without reading the paragraph or context is is hard to know for sure.

EDIT: Bruce types faster than me haha

18 Jul 2011     

suyunruyasi
Turkey

:) You are right I should have given the context :)

The passage is about the global brands being unsuccessful in target markets as a result of tariffs, competition with local producers etc. The sentence is this :

"In many of these countries (target market countries), global brand owners aim to sell the super-premium end of the market in any given product category, while local brands offer their products for the rest of the market." 

18 Jul 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Now you see, that phrase means exactly what cheezels explained:) 
The global brand owners target the rich consumers, i.e. the super-premium category of consumers, which are the part/end of the market for those products manufactured by global brands. (do I make it sound more gobbledygook?)
Sophia

18 Jul 2011     

suyunruyasi
Turkey

Thanks for your help Sophia, Bruce ans Cheezels :) 

I understand now what that phrase exactly means and so will my students :)

Have a nice evening ,

Hugs

Ebru 

18 Jul 2011