Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to teach story?    

How to teach story?

Ali S
Oman

How to teach story?

Dear my friends
I hope you are doing well

Dear
What are the steps of teaching story ? could you help me pleas?

Thanks

20 Jul 2011      

anitarobi
Croatia

There are so many versions - it all depends on the age and knowledge level of your students. If you give us a bit more details, perhaps we can help you better!

It �s always good to perhaps show the sts some pictures of some words from the story and have them guess what it will be about - but never make it too obvious! If they �re little kids (or even bigger:)), a lot depends on you - how you convey the story - your voice, the level of loudness, your eyes and body language. For instance, I know a teacher who is so good with her voice and eyes, that she needs absolutely no body language or pics to help her. I like to use everything - word cards, pics, body language, voices, the space of my classroom to sort of stage the story... The important thing is to get the students involved - get them to guess what �s going to happen next every now and then, ask them what they would do in a certain situation (personal engagement distracts them from the grammar, and gets them to use the language to the best of their abilities), have them act parts out with you or help you hold puppets or flashcards you might be using. Afterwards, to check the understanding, you can mix up the pics or props and tell the story again, but have sts fix the jumbled order or tell the story with mistakes and have them correct you. If they �re bigger kids, it �s always good to tell the open-ended version and have them tell you or even write their own versions of the possible ending (using the vocabulary introduced) and then tell them the real ending of it.

20 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

I �m assuming you mean how to read a story to children. If that �s so Anita is spot on. The link also has steps you can follow http://www.ehow.com/how_2054355_read-story-children.html. If you �d like you can Google How to read a story to children and get more ideas.

20 Jul 2011