Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD     

WOD

valentinaper
Greece

WOD

Thank you for nominating a humble mortal like me, Dale! I have to admit I was a bit astonished, because I thought Ed was the indisputable winner yesterday! Anyway, it �s the first time for me to win the WOD, so I �ll be more than happy to continue from here.

The new word of the day is eccedentesiast.

Feel free to join in with wacky, illogical daffynitions, but please don �t use dictionaries. Remember to have fun, it �s mandatory!Wink

Valentina

20 Jul 2011      

spinney
United Kingdom

This is a tricky one as the word eccedentesiast is a heteronym. The first meaning, and the most common, with the pronunciation of �eh-see-dent- eh-see-ast� (stress on penultimate syllable), means a person that likes to participate in the hobby of �eccedentary.� This is the hobby of collecting and pressing the Eccel�s flower which is to be found only in the Scilly Isles. The Eccels flower is renowned for its human shape when pressed and its rather pungent odour. Unfortunately for eccedentesiasts, the smell and remote location relegates this hobby to the �rare and unusual� category.

The second meaning, with the pronunciation �ee-see-dent-ee-sigh-ast,� simply means a person that has lost all their teeth through eating too many Eccles cakes. I�m looking forward to eating a few of them myself next week when I go back to Blighty on my holidays next week.Big smile

20 Jul 2011     

misseleonora
Argentina

Eccedentesiast is the person who manages to give you the best shot ever to keep yourself as quiet as a lizard under the sun, on the dentist chair while your teeth are being taken care of. Excellent dentist and anesthetist.

20 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

As everyone knows while chickens do not have teeth but before they hatch they develop a special tooth which allows them to crack open the shell from the inside. Unfortunately not all chicks develop that tooth or develop it quite right. This is where an eccedentesiast (egg dentist)comes in. Through a process, which is too complicated to go into in this forum, the eccedentesiast using nano instruments fixes the egg tooth intraovum allowing the chick to mature inside the egg and use its egg tooth to crack the egg and thus be born. The process is little used since it costs roughly $2,500 and the average price of a chicken is $1.48 before processing.

20 Jul 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Nice Ed!LOL

20 Jul 2011     

htunde
Hungary

The ending -siast of course means: follower. Those who are followers of eccentric (weirdo) dentists are often called eccedentesiasts.

20 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

ECCEDENTESIAST = Eccentric Dentist who has a peculiar Enthusiast way of performing his work!

20 Jul 2011