Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Give me a hand please, my beloved teachers.    

Give me a hand please, my beloved teachers.

batistaloc
United States

Give me a hand please, my beloved teachers.

I �m teaching an English class at a rural high school. The students here are too lazy to study vocabulary. Tell me what i should do with them. And what kinds of tasks can i use to motivate their interest in learning vocabulary. 
I �m looking forward to your help.
Many thanks. 

20 Jul 2011      

misseleonora
Argentina

Teams, games and contests. They always work!
Think of a prize for the winners.

20 Jul 2011     

valentinaper
Greece

I know what you �re talking about... makes me feel unappreciated and franticCensored at the same time!
I try putting up an image with a specific theme in mind (e.g. holidays) and get them to bring new words regarding this theme ( the game is played at the beginning of each lesson, and the new words are put up beside the picture). If you heve a relevant to the theme, unique word/ phrase, you get one point. If you have a word which is either irrelevant or has been mentioned before, you get zero points. At the end of the game period, the student(s) with the most points get(s) a prize. Each picture/ theme usually covers 1-2 weeks but you can make alterations.
I wouldn �t suggest it unless I was convinced that it can motivate even the laziest student!

20 Jul 2011     

sadeel
Palestine

there �s a game my ss really like . first write every word in a small paper or card and it �s meaning in another one . for me I laminate them so I can use them again and again . divide your ss into two teams. every one of team A should has a card. and every 1 of team B has one meaning . start with team A first 1 should say the word he has . and run the s who has the meaning should catch him .  first time will be difficult but tell them that u �r going to play it again. and i �m sure they will memrize every word so they can catch each other. give them 2 minutes to catch . then give the winner team a point. move to the next word..... and there �s a lot of great games to teach vocabulary inside the classroom or outside. if u want i can send u some.

20 Jul 2011     

batistaloc
United States

How sweet of you Sadeel. If you don �t mind please send me some, my email is: [email protected]. Im really stuck now. However do u think the games are doable with the large class size?
Thanks in advance Sadeel.

20 Jul 2011     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

I always divide the children into groups of 4, give them a paper and then I write letters on the board:
A - 5,
T - 10
E - 15
G - 8 ... etc.

Their task is to write 5 words starting with the letter A, 10 starting with the letter T etc. The first group which has all the words correct gets a small reward (maybe some sweets, stickers.. it depends on the age of the children). Sometimes they also get a mark into their reward books which is very motivating for my sts.

20 Jul 2011     

batistaloc
United States

Thanks Valentinaper, Misseleonora and Misa

20 Jul 2011     

helena2009
Hungary

If I am not clear, please ask help!

1. Play BINGO.

Write the new words on the board (20-30 words). Take a red piece of chalk. Tell the students:

"Write 5 words from the board into your exercisebook."

When they are ready start to read the words from the board in their first language. Wait 5 seconds between two words and before you read the next one  tick the previous one on the board with the red chalk. In this way you remember which words have been read.

The students tick the words in their exercise books and if they have 3 ticks they have to shout

"BINGO"

The first student get a candy.

Then the students write new 5 words in their exercisebooks and you clear the red ticks from the board and you start the game again.

My students love it.

2. Write the new vocabulary on the board.
Divide the class into two groups.

Invite one student from eah groups to the board. They have to stand opposite the class so they can not see the words on the board. Give them a piece of chalk with different colour.

Group A say a word from the board in their first language. The students at the board turn back and they have to cross the word with the chalk.

The group which have the most crossed words on the board is the winner.

Here the green group is the winner:

My students love it.

3. Hide a bowl of candies in the school. Make a crossword puzzle with the new vocaburary. The solution of the crosswordpuzzle  is the place of the bowl. When a student is ready with the crossword shows it to  you and if it is ok, he/she goes out,  finds the bowl and takes a candy.

The crossoword puzzle can be very simple. The grey line is the solution.

Be careful with this game because if you do it with your students they will always demand it.

Good luck

Helena

20 Jul 2011     

batistaloc
United States

Thanks Helena, I will try all of them. Thanks again for your sharing.

21 Jul 2011     

MinnieMGarvin
United States

Hi, I additionally observed their law-word reference and it was acceptable. I likewise discovered https://www.goszeto.com/will-poa site for a criminal case. Folks, you can likewise visit this site and take help from their master layers.

18 Jul 2020     

JayPayne
United States

I had these dark circles under my eyes because of late night work! I needed to dispose of them yet I was unable to find the most appropriate cream but students also gets the dissertation writing services review for quick writing tasks that had no hurtful impacts. Much obliged to you for sharing this normal cream that will assist me with restoring my look.

18 Nov 2021     

1    2    Next >