Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help needed with MATESOL assignment    

Help needed with MATESOL assignment

tommy11
Thailand

Help needed with MATESOL assignment

Hi everyone

I �ve got an assignment due soon and part of it asks me to see how intelligible my dialect is.

In order to find out, I need your help!

Please go to the following youtube link and listen to what I say Once (it �s very short - only six seconds):

After listening to what I say in my regional dialect, please write down what you think I said in the comments section using standard English.

Could you also state your first language, as I need to see if different speakers of English would be able to understand me.

After that, I would be grateful if you could do the same for the next short example:

Thanks in advance!

Tom

22 Jul 2011      

tommy11
Thailand

Just realised that you might need a youtube account to leave a comment. 

If this is the case, and you don �t have one, please pm me with your feedback.

Cheers!

22 Jul 2011     

douglas
United States

"I �m gonna � shop."  (I �m a US West Coast native speaker)

it also sounds a little like "I �m good at shop."  definitely notice a non-USA accent (I would guess English or Australian)

Cheers,
Douglas

Edit: clip 2:
"I�m gonna shop cause we ain�t got naught in fridge"  or "I�m goin� out to shop..."

(understood meaning: I�m going shopping because the refrigerator is empty.)

22 Jul 2011     

Zora
Canada

I answered on Youtube as ZoraESL. I �m a Canadian from Western Canada (Calgary, AB). I understood exactly the same things as Douglas... and I had to listen more than once to understand the accent.

22 Jul 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

I �ve pm �d you, Tommy - as you asked, since I didn �t want to use the Youtube comments section. And since any guesses here on the forum might influence the guesses of others.....

22 Jul 2011     

libertybelle
United States

I �m American - but wrote that in the comment section.

My laptop doesn �t have a lot of volume - so it might help if you recorded it  a bit louder.
L

22 Jul 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Tom - I PM �d you my answers

Hey Douglas - we dinki di Aussies don �t sound at all like that.  But I love the accent anyway - just like in some of the grand British films we get.  I think I got it right - I only listened once so it �s probably because I watch a lot of British TV/film and listen to a lot of British audio books.

22 Jul 2011