Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > my answer was not good enough so need a third party answer    

my answer was not good enough so need a third party answer

roneydirt
United States

my answer was not good enough so need a third party answer

I always find it interesting.  I gave a study time to go over the test as a review before giving the test.  Now a week later I gave the test and the discussion started on my answers.  The questions and answers were pulled from the textbook.
I would like to know which is the best answer and why? (grammar rules also)

Change the sentence to a "have you ever..." question.
Leo and you swam across the Yellow River.
a) Have you and Leo swam across the Yellow River?
b) Have Leo and you swam across the Yellow River?
c) Have Leo and you swum across the Yellow River?

23 Jul 2011      

anitarobi
Croatia

Perhaps it �s just that your task is to make a �have you ever � question and none of your questions have �ever � in them? (Otherwise, of course, the third one is grammatically OK, because it �s the only one that has the proper form of the Past Participle of swim.)

23 Jul 2011     

roneydirt
United States

sorry forgot to type "ever"

a) Have you and Leo ever swam across the Yellow River?
b) Have Leo and you ever swam across the Yellow River?
c) Have Leo and you ever swum across the Yellow River?

23 Jul 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

Pretty straightforward present perfect formed by using the helping verb HAVE + PAST PARTICIPLE (aka verb 3 or V3 -e.g. take V1, took V2, TAKEN V3).

Swim - swam - SWUM

Thus, the correct answer is C.

23 Jul 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes: swim - swam - swum. But did you know that swam used to be a perfectly acceptable past participle (used by the likes of Samuel Johnson and Thomas Carlyle)? And that �swum as the past of swim was common in certain parts of the US �particularly New England � until fairly recently � (MWDEU). Apparently, there is still some confusion over these forms.

23 Jul 2011     

douglas
United States

I agree with Philip--it �s pretty staright forward.

-Interesting comment ALMAZ- it �s true though that (as you probbaly would agree) even us native speakers tend to stumble over using swam or swum sometimes.

23 Jul 2011     

roneydirt
United States

I was looking what Philip and Almaz wrote and going through my old textbook and the updated textbook and what they said really came to light to how even in the rules there are signs of how English is evolving.  Like Almaz stated in the New England area it is swum and the rest it is swam when using the "Have you ever..." statement.  Found a couple other words in there as well.  It is of course the rare item and not a normal thing.  Some of the other conflicts have been more coloquial terms or rules when part of the school uses old British English and the other part uses old or new American English it adds to the confushion.

23 Jul 2011     

yanogator
United States

Roneydirt,
I think you misread it. Alex said that "swam" was the past participle (the Have you ever form) a few hundred years ago, and that "swum" was once used as the simple past. In standard English now, the simple past is "swam" and the past participle (the Have you ever form) is swum. So, as others said, the answer is C.

Bruce

23 Jul 2011